• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

putting parent in nursing home

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

steinie21

My mother lives by herself and is in her early 80's. She still drives herself place in town. I have been thinking about putting her in a nursing home because she is starting to forget things such as, her purse, people-like her own son, what day it is, and grandchildren. I want to know what my legal right is in putting her in a nursing home? Can you do this against their will? What about her house, car, etc...

A

Always searching

She is a human you know!

If I didn't know better, I would swear you were my sister. My mother had the same problems and my sister sent her to me in Texas for a visit. She sold her house, moved her belongings and her car to Texas against her will and un beknowing to her. It was a horrible mess. Mom is still here with me and I am sure she is still alive because of my love, concern and care. Sure she could have sued the pants off my sister, but my mother knew in her heart that she really wasn't taking care of herself.

Why don't you move her in with you or talk to her about living in an assisted living center close to you? If you don't like her company, then see if she will move to an assisted living center close to where she is accustomed so she won't loose touch with the friends that are still alive.

Just remember that she is a person and it isn't kind to think about "putting" her anywhere like an unwanted pet.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">