• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question about gay marriage and VISA's

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

krazyb

I live in Florida, and i'm willing to go elsewhere-- such as california.

But the question is-- I have a boyfriend who's recently been forced to go back to Brazil.

If he comes back here, and we go to California and get married, will he still receive citizenship? I'm still kind of unclear of how it even works with a normal marriage, but it's just something we've considered.

Thanks.

krazyb

Okay. That answers my question I guess. That's really sad/pathetic.

Thanks for the quick response... I guess the only way for us to do this is for him to marry a woman.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Okay. That answers my question I guess. That's really sad/pathetic.

Thanks for the quick response... I guess the only way for us to do this is for him to marry a woman.
That would be fraud and get him incarcerated.

krazyb

That would be fraud and get him incarcerated.
Wow!
I didn't know that either. I thought if they were married for two years that it would be fine. But jee thanks for the information. I don't want him in jail. That would be torchure for me and him.

Thanks for the information. I'm glad I asked here. I mean-- of course before I ever went through with ANYTHING I'd consult more than just a forum online, but thanks for the great information.

I appreciate your help.

I'm not sure what the situation is right now (we haven't been talking much as it's costly to telephone Brazil), but if you could give me some input on our options on getting him to become a U.S. Citizen, that'd be greatly appreciated. Googleing this information yields tons and tons of results, it's hard to weave through and figure out what to do.

Last edited:

krazyb

just curious, what is stopping you from moving to Brazil?
So far, this is all:

1. I do not speak Portuguese
- Along with that, comes the inability to continue school there, work a decent job, ETC.
2. He does not want to live in Brazil.
3. We have plans to further our lives in NYC, including schooling, ETC-- I have scholarships only available to me in the US and work a very stable job here so far, that has a second office in NYC that I would transfer to.

Believe it or not, we're only 20. Also what might seem weird is that I actually work in a law office, I just don't really know much about this subject.

Last edited:

xylene

just curious, what is stopping you from moving to Brazil?
I don't know, the same kind of conservative, jingoistic, immigration policies we have in this country.

Just because a country is a backwordz third world state and /or south of the equator does not mean immigration is open. :rolleyes:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">