• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question about how to sign birth certificate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

harmon53

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Iowa

I have a few questions.

1. I want to get the baby tested before i sign the birth certificate. Can i ask the doctor to administer the test or do i have to do this seperately?

2. Also, if i do sign the birth certificate, and the test comes back that it is not mine, is it to late?

3. Once she files for child support, can they go back on you from before she has filed? Is back child support from the day the baby was born or is it from the day that she files for it?

harmon53 said:

I have a few questions.

1. I want to get the baby tested before i sign the birth certificate. Can i ask the doctor to administer the test or do i have to do this seperately?

2. Also, if i do sign the birth certificate, and the test comes back that it is not mine, is it to late?

3. Once she files for child support, can they go back on you from before she has filed? Is back child support from the day the baby was born or is it from the day that she files for it?
My son's father signed the birth certificate...he knew he was the father...we were not married however. He had to sign an affidavit saying he was the father.When I tried to get child support he said he was not the father and they said basically...too bad, you said you were. He was trying to get out of support. I have heard of cases where men thought they were the father and later found out that they were not and when they tried to be reimbursed for the support the judge said..You have been the only support and father figure for this child...keep on doing it.I believe their is some kind of name for that rule, I am not an attorney and others on here would know best..I was just giving you advice from personal experience....Make sure first!

ajfai

Do not sign the birth certificate

Have the paternity test done first. Also, do not sign acknowledgement of paternity.

BelizeBreeze

harmon53 said:

I have a few questions.

A paternity test in this case can only be ordered by a judge. If you do not sign the birth certificate, then you have no legal standing regarding the child.

No, but much more difficult since then you'd have to file to disestablish paternity.
Child support can only be awarded from the date of the original filing.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">