• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question from Alabama

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Lisa_H

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Alabama

I'm an adult and I have heard that you can legally change your last name for pretty much any reason, so long as it's not for illegal purposes. My question is: Can I state the reason to change my last name as.."I want to change it to that of my domestic partner's last name"? I know this reason is acceptable in other states, but need to know if it's an acceptable reason in Alabama. I would appreciate any advice. Thank you.

FarmerJ

I would suppose the only reason you might be denied is if the name change is a offensive name, Or for a reason that would be illegal like trying to hide from bills. If your partner is of the same sex perhaps the best thing to do is speak to a atty who is known to be friendly to gay people , is gay them self OR find a atty in your area who has experiance in law practice that is centered on same sex couples since that atty likely would be well informed. BTW if your not a gay couple fair odds are that a atty who does do business with the gay community would still be your best bet for consultation.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
Name Changes

Adult Name Changes

Forms are provided in the Probate Court Office.

1. The Petitioner must be a legal resident of Montgomery County and age 19 or older. If you are a legal resident of another county, you will need to contact the Probate Court in the county you reside for information on the procedure, as this process varies from county to county.

2. The Petitioner must provide a certified copy of his/her birth certificate.

3. The Petitioner must present picture identification, i.e., driver's license or military identification. The Petitioner's signature will be notarized in the Probate Court Office.

4. The filing fee is $15.00 (cash, check, Mastercard, or Visa accepted). Any additional certified copies of the name change will cost an additional $4.00.

5. After the petition is filed, the Court will set a hearing on this matter. If the petition is granted, there is an additional fee of $4.00 for the certified copy (cash, check, Mastercard, or Visa accepted).

Specific requirements vary from county to county. The requirements of Montgomery County Probate Judge Reese McKinney, Jr., are listed above.
Montgomery County, Alabama Probate Judge Name Changes

Contact your county Probate Judge's office.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">