• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

(Question) : Money taken by step parents after my real parents died.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

W

Wrathen

What is the name of your state? Georgia

My mother died when I was 3, I was supposed to have money in the bank.. I was also told I was recieving 500 dollars a month for child support, and I recieved hardly any of that. My stepmother told me a week after my Real father died that he took the money out of the bank, how can I find out what bank it was? I wanna know exactly how much was taken out and who took it out exactly! I also recieved nothing from my fathers death, If anyone can provide me with any information, I would be greatly appreciative.

W

Wrathen

yeah

Yeah, but I was never allowed to see it. My Aunt told me I had an account, and I talk to my stepmother and she started crying and said it was true, and said she would pay me back, but she didn't know how. After a while she is acting like it never happened, she also stole money from my stepbrother (Her real son) To gamble with. So I know she is capable of taking money from accounts.

Last edited:

stephenk

do you know in whose name the account was setup? If it was just in your name your stepmom would not have access. If it was a joint account with her and your dad named, she could pull money out as she pleased.

Did your dad have a will?

How old are you and how long ago did your dad die?

nextwife

Your post is pretty vague, it's hard to know where to start.

IF child support WAS paid by your father, your guardian would likely have used it to help cover the costs of housing, feeding, clothing and educating you. They are not required to put it away. It's purpose is to help pay for your care.

If your question is WHETHER your biodad DID pay the support your mom expected him to, you may be able to check with the CS agency who was collecting. IF there was a court order and he paid through CSE. I don't even know if the anticipated CS was court ordered, or not.

How long ago was this money "put in the bank" and who was the owner on the account?

IF there was a will, it would need to be filed in the county courtgouse. Have you checked for a filing?

W

Wrathen

My father died when I was 16, in 1996.. Im 22 now, Me and my brother and sister were supposed to recieve money when we were 21, Yes my father had a will, but I don't know exactly what courthouse has the file of it. So many Answers left un-answered, I can't just let it go.. Don't want my stepmother to be mad! But im doing this for my brother, and my sister who should have it better, I don't think my dad worked hard and went though months of pain, just so my stepmother could throw the money away, Anything put into the house was ours, they sold it, and gambled it away and whatever else they did with it. Talk about paying your kids back, sounds like personal **** to me.

nextwife

Any will filed would be in the county courthouse of his county of residence at the time of his death. If the housewas jointly owned as Jt Tenants with his wife, the house goes completely to the surviving Jt. Tenant when the other dies.

kat1963

Wrathen, what money are we talking about here? When your mother died, was there money left to you? In a will or as some sort of beneficiary? Some sort of lawsuit? Or was it her social security benefits? If it is the later, then that was used by your Dad/S-Mom for support (food, clothing, shelter etc. for the children & rightfully so.). As nextwife suggested, if they had the house in common then it was her house to do what she wished.
I think we need more details. If the wills were probated, a copy will be at the court house. If you really want to pursue the matter you need to get there and find out. After you do, you’ll want to consider post this on the wills/probate forum.
Good Luck to you!
KAT

W

Wrathen

Ok, here goes again, my mother died when I was 3, we were supposed to recieve money when we were 21, but I was told my dad took it out. I only found this out a couple months after my dad died. My primary question was, how do I find out how much it was, and what bank it was, and if someone tells me it was to secure us with food and clothing, thats BULL****! We were recieving monthly checks for that. And I was treated like total ****, with the worst clothing! So don't answer me with that please, I know the money was taken for there own personal use!

W

Wrathen

The house isn't a big deal, but I believe if the money was taken to buy a house for us to live in, and then after my father died, it was sold, then the money was gambled away by my step parents, I THINK I SHOULD HAVE SOME LIABILITY OVER IT, out of both of my parents deaths I recieved nothing! Not a single ****ING THING!And if any of it was for food or clothing it was less then 10% Literally.

kat1963

Wrathen, why are you yelling at people who are trying to help you? You aren't even bothering to answer the questions anymore you just keep repeating how pissed off you are. That said, I suggest you look in the phone book & find yourself a good patient attorney. Most give free or low cost consults.
KAT

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Well what do you expect? People are volunteering their time and trying to get enough information out of you to help, and all you do is go off and abuse them? Screw that - pay for your advice.

nextwife

Hon, you only gave very generalized, vague info. "We were supposed to get money at 21". That is not anything to gives near enough info to write an answer about. You could have said, for example "My mom's will set up a trust, with my father as trustee... "

And then you write: " I was also told I was recieving 500 dollars a month for child support, and I recieved hardly any of that..." Told by whom? From whom? Through CSE? Who recieved the CS? Is payment of this money you feel you should have gotten even confirmed? Again, little useful info.

You appear to never have even done more than ask about a will, so have no answers to queries about it. Finding the correct courthouse is no more than a couple of phone calls to your court system.

And you complain that proceeds of a home sale should go to you and sibs, but you give no info on how the home was held in title, when it was sold, if stepmom was also making payments and so on. When my dad died the house became my mom's. When my mom sold, she invested some and used the rest to buy a smaller place. If she lives to a nice old age, she will likely use up all her money before she dies or with end-of-life care. She does not have an obligation to give me a penney out of the home she shared with my father. And whether she blows it or is frugal with it, that is up to her IF it is her money. You have not established any evidence it is not

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">