• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Questionable Paternity

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

vick1212

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? KY

My father recently passed away and now we have adult children coming out of the woodwork. My parents were married 30 years and produced 7 children within the confines of that marriage. At my fathers death bed came 2 adult children and word of a third from 2 other women.

Question 1- If my father signed away his rights to one of these children, do they still have rights to claims on his estate?

Question 2- If their is strong question as to the paternity of one of these children how would the family go about asking for proof?

Thank you
vickie

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? KY

My father recently passed away and now we have adult children coming out of the woodwork. My parents were married 30 years and produced 7 children within the confines of that marriage. At my fathers death bed came 2 adult children and word of a third from 2 other women.

Question 1- If my father signed away his rights to one of these children, do they still have rights to claims on his estate?

Question 2- If their is strong question as to the paternity of one of these children how would the family go about asking for proof?

Thank you
vickie

Question 1 -- he can't sign away his rights unless the child was adopted. Was the child adopted by another person and your father's rights terminated by the courts?
Question 2 -- DNA test can be performed if there is not other evidence such as your father admitting to paternity. Which he may have done in a variety of ways such as having a father/child relationship with the children, giving them cards/gifts signed Dad, writing letters admitting paternity, and various other items.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">