• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Quit Claim Deed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

geauxdoe1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia
My father died earlier this year and my stepmother's daughter has just contacted me to sign a release of some kind. She said that her mother needs to file a quit claim deed on the home for some money to pay off some bills. She said she didn't want to go through probate. (I assume the house was in both my Dad and stepmother's names. Free and clear...no morgage)
Why would I have to sign a release? After Dad's death, no one every contacted me about a will and my stepmother received all his life insurance money because she was the only beneficery. Does this mean there is NO will? What rights do my brother and I have if there is not will?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia
My father died earlier this year and my stepmother's daughter has just contacted me to sign a release of some kind. She said that her mother needs to file a quit claim deed on the home for some money to pay off some bills. She said she didn't want to go through probate. (I assume the house was in both my Dad and stepmother's names. Free and clear...no morgage)
Why would I have to sign a release? After Dad's death, no one every contacted me about a will and my stepmother received all his life insurance money because she was the only beneficery. Does this mean there is NO will? What rights do my brother and I have if there is not will?
You should refuse to sign any paperwork at all. The only way that you would need to sign a release is if you had some sort of interest in the property. There very well may be a will leaving you some share in the home.

If your stepmother now owns the home free and clear, then there is no reason for her to sign a quit claim deed to get money to pay bills. She could simply refinance or get a home equity loan.

Something odd is going on. If she sends you anything to sign, take it to an attorney for an opinion.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">