• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Re: Marriage Emancipation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Kovács

Re: Marriage Emancipation

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Connecticut

Hello,
Thanks for reading this over.
I am here to ask a question regarding marriage and emancipation. Here's my scenario:

My girlfriend had been suffering from severe depression a year ago, and attempted suicide. She is 20 years old, and her parents have claimed the rights over her since. She has been put into a nursing home for rehabilitation, but can no longer take it. She has been rehabilitated through medication and physical therapy and is ready to start work again and start her life again. However, her parents seem to not want to let her out of the place. It isn't an insane asylum, in case you're wondering. She's not insane, she was just depressed. She's in a nursing home, where old people reside until they die. The place isn't for her and she can't seem to get aid for housing.

Therefore, in order to save her and go on with plans we had before, if I married her, would she be free of all obligation to this nursing home and free of her parents' reign? Would she be completely emancipated from her parents and be able to go on with her life?

Silverplum

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Connecticut

Hello,
Thanks for reading this over.
I am here to ask a question regarding marriage and emancipation. Here's my scenario:

My girlfriend had been suffering from severe depression a year ago, and attempted suicide. She is 20 years old, and her parents have claimed the rights over her since. She has been put into a nursing home for rehabilitation, but can no longer take it. She has been rehabilitated through medication and physical therapy and is ready to start work again and start her life again. However, her parents seem to not want to let her out of the place. It isn't an insane asylum, in case you're wondering. She's not insane, she was just depressed. She's in a nursing home, where old people reside until they die. The place isn't for her and she can't seem to get aid for housing.

Therefore, in order to save her and go on with plans we had before, if I married her, would she be free of all obligation to this nursing home and free of her parents' reign? Would she be completely emancipated from her parents and be able to go on with her life?
She's ALREADY a legal adult. She can do as she pleases.

Kovács

But what is that restricted to?

For example, if her parents speak on her behalf with lawyers, attorneys, etc., binding her to certain contracts, would she still be able to walk away from the whole ordeal?

Silverplum

But what is that restricted to?

For example, if her parents speak on her behalf with lawyers, attorneys, etc., binding her to certain contracts, would she still be able to walk away from the whole ordeal?
I have no idea -- because you are not providing all details. What "certain contracts"??

Do they somehow have power of attorney over her??

And why does she expect "aid for housing"? And from whom?

Kovács

I have no idea -- because you are not providing all details. What "certain contracts"??

Do they somehow have power of attorney over her??
Yes, they do.

Sorry that I'm not helping to the fullest. I don't know about the entire situation, but I do know that they have power of attorney over her.

I don't think there has been anything stating that she can't go here or there, but she's afraid that might happen if she packs up and leaves, and then her parents find her.

She just wants to get the hell out, and I told her I'd try looking around the net for some advice.

Thanks for replying, by the way. I appreciate it.

Silverplum

Yes, they do.

Sorry that I'm not helping to the fullest. I don't know about the entire situation, but I do know that they have power of attorney over her.

I don't think there has been anything stating that she can't go here or there, but she's afraid that might happen if she packs up and leaves, and then her parents find her.

She just wants to get the hell out, and I told her I'd try looking around the net for some advice.

Thanks for replying, by the way. I appreciate it.
You're welcome. :)

She's a legal adult. She can do as she pleases. If she wants to leave, she can leave. She doesn't have to marry to become A Big Girl. ;)

You could perhaps speak to a local attorney about getting the power of attorney revoked. That wouldn't be a big effort.

Kovács

Any idea on how much that action would cost? Getting it revoked, that is.

And so long as she can show that she'll be able to function properly on her own, I imagine the court/judge would revoke that for her, right?

She actually had a pretty great life before this. Unfortunately, we all mess up from time to time, and I'd just like to see her emerge from this mess on the right foot. :)

Silverplum

Any idea on how much that action would cost? Getting it revoked, that is.

And so long as she can show that she'll be able to function properly on her own, I imagine the court/judge would revoke that for her, right?

She actually had a pretty great life before this. Unfortunately, we all mess up from time to time, and I'd just like to see her emerge from this mess on the right foot. :)
No idea at all. Call several different local attorneys and ask.

Silverplum

Thanks a bunch, Silverplum.
You're totally welcome. Good luck to both of you. :)

(Non-legal, unasked-for-advice: Depression and suicide attempts are never to be taken lightly. As her future H, you'll want to be fully informed on those issues.)

TinkerBelleLuvr

Do the parents have conservatorship (or however that is spelled) over the daughter? If the daughter was an adult when this happened, there had to have been something there.

Have the GF ask the facility there what paperwork exists over it.

I'm thinking Brittany Spears here, where dad is managing daughter? Could daughter get married to get rid of dad's power over her life?

Gracie3787

I agree with tinkerbelle, it's possible that her parents have guardianship of her.
That is most likely the situation, because people do not end up in a nursing home for a simple siucide attempt. Her being in a nursing home tells me that she SEVERELY injured herself in the suicide attempt. There is ALOT more to this situation then you know.

The best thing you can do for her at this point will be to get a consult with a local attorney to see what you can do to try to help her.

As another poster said, you will really need to keep an eye on her, as depression and suicide attempts are something that can recurr several times.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">