• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

"Reasonable Visitation"

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

Jennifer T.

My parents have custody of my child. In the custody papers it says that her father and I each have "reasonable visitation". Who determines what is "reasonable". I have had my visitations taken away because I didn't agree with my mother when she started calling me by my first name to my daughter, instead of reffering to me as "mom". I live in Clay county, Missouri. Our custody case is out of Platte County, Missouri. I have called the police once a long time and they told me that reason was left up to the custodians. I then spoke to an attorney's assistant and she told me that "reasonable" means what is reasonable to everyone....not just the custodians. I don't know what I can do here. HELP!

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Jennifer T. said:
My parents have custody of my child. In the custody papers it says that her father and I each have "reasonable visitation". Who determines what is "reasonable". I have had my visitations taken away because I didn't agree with my mother when she started calling me by my first name to my daughter, instead of reffering to me as "mom". I live in Clay county, Missouri. Our custody case is out of Platte County, Missouri. I have called the police once a long time and they told me that reason was left up to the custodians. I then spoke to an attorney's assistant and she told me that "reasonable" means what is reasonable to everyone....not just the custodians. I don't know what I can do here. HELP!
My response:

As you have discovered, the phrase "reasonable visitation" is extremely vague and ambiguous. The phrase is subject to so many interpretations as to cause it to have no meaning at all.

Your only recourse would be to file a Petition in court to have a court sign an order that includes specific days, hours, holidays, etc. That way, there's no guessing, confusion, misinterpretations or differing interpretations. You'll know exactly when you can and cannot see your child, right along with all other terms and conditions.

As for Grandma referring to you by your first name to your child, you can also have that little problem fixed right along with your court orders for visitation. That way, when Grandma violates the court orders, then she'll have to answer to the court; something that Grandma will wind up really disliking after she violates the courts' orders a few times. She'll get the idea eventually when she decides that doing things the "right" way is easier than being hauled in front of the judge every month or so.

Good luck to you.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">