• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Reasons to relinquish parental rights #2

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

confusedgramzso

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)ca

I am a 21 year old that just got served with a summons and complaint to pay child support of $292.00 to a child that I never knew I had. how can they serve me with papers without testing for genetics first. but i asked for one. as my mother was asking about terminating my rights being that i was only 14 when it happened, I have never been in contact with the mother since 4/2008,or seen the child wich is now 6 years old. I really need advice on what my options are and how to handle this situation.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)ca

I am a 21 year old that just got served with a summons and complaint to pay child support of $292.00 to a child that I never knew I had. how can they serve me with papers without testing for genetics first. but i asked for one. as my mother was asking about terminating my rights being that i was only 14 when it happened, I have never been in contact with the mother since 4/2008,or seen the child wich is now 6 years old. I really need advice on what my options are and how to handle this situation.
I suspect that it's entirely possible that you have been found to be the legal father. I would suggest that you contact an attorney about this matter.

Zigner

In the other thread, the OP is Grandma. :rolleyes:

https://forum.freeadvice.com/marriage-domestic-partnerships-other-family-law-matters-45/reasons-relinquish-parental-rights-610248.html

Run along, Granny, and make some cookies. That's the full extent of your legal involvement in your grown son's legal affairs.
I believe that this is actually the son. It doesn't really matter, an attorney is going to be needed to straighten this out. Oh, and the guy can be expected to pay for his child - he's not just going to relinquish his responsibilities.

RRevak

I believe that this is actually the son. It doesn't really matter, an attorney is going to be needed to straighten this out. Oh, and the guy can be expected to pay for his child - he's not just going to relinquish his responsibilities.
That might depend though. Was he notified prior to the hearing? Was he given a chance to appear and just didn't or was he never notified at all? OP isn't even sure he's the father (ya know, the whole unmarried thing n all ;))

And maybe i'm not reading this right but is OP actually ORDERED to pay support or is this a hearing to determine support and begin an order?

And then we have the even bigger elephant in the room regarding the age of OP when he the mother conceived. Depending on the state the child was conceived in was it even legal for Op to have sex with mom?

Last edited:

Zigner

That might depend though. Was he notified prior to the hearing? Was he given a chance to appear and just didn't or was he never notified at all?
That only affects the amount, not the obligation.
OP isn't even sure he's the father (ya know, the whole unmarried thing n all ;))
If it's not his kid, then he will (hopefully) be able to work it out with the assistance of an attorney.

Silverplum

I see you're correct, Zig. :eek: Oh, well. ;)

If this is merely a notice of a hearing to determine paternity or to discuss child support, then why is the amount already set at $292??

RRevak

I see you're correct, Zig. :eek: Oh, well. ;)

If this is merely a notice of a hearing to determine paternity or to discuss child support, then why is the amount already set at $292??
Would the age of OP at the time of conception matter if the child was conceived in a state where OP was under the legal age of consent?

Zigner

Would the age of OP at the time of conception matter if the child was conceived in a state where OP was under the legal age of consent?
The age of the mother would also figure in. But you do raise a good point. It's yet another factor that the attorney will take in to account.

confusedgramzso

Iam in the state of california ,ventura county to be exact. on the summons i received, it states that I have been named as the father in the declaration of parentage on file at the local child support office, and that they request that i pay the amount of $292 starting Nov 1. there was never any court date or hearing. i got these papers just last week, so no i did not skip out on anything. if the child is mine i will pay but i would also like to see the child and have visitation. even though he does not know anything of me. I want what best for him and being that i missed 6 years already is it fair for me to pop up now.? She was 16 at the time this happened and i was 14, can someone elaborate more about that plz

Silverplum

Iam in the state of california ,ventura county to be exact. on the summons i received, it states that I have been named as the father in the declaration of parentage on file at the local child support office, and that they request that i pay the amount of $292 starting Nov 1. there was never any court date or hearing. i got these papers just last week, so no i did not skip out on anything. if the child is mine i will pay but i would also like to see the child and have visitation. even though he does not know anything of me. I want what best for him and being that i missed 6 years already is it fair for me to pop up now.? She was 16 at the time this happened and i was 14, can someone elaborate more about that plz
PLZ take your papers to a local family law attorney for help. We can't read them from here.

Zigner

You really are going to need an attorney before this is done.

With that in mind, you can start gathering information on your own. Contact the local child support office and ask them how you were determined to be the father, having never been married to the mother, having never had a court hearing, having never had a DNA test, and having not signed an acknowledgment of paternity.

Proserpina

Did you ever sign anything?

Have you contacted CSE?

confusedgramzso

I never signed anything, thats whats so confusing. I asked the child support agency today and they say that they have nothing on file, then how can they propose everything already down to the date when i should start paying., what is a cse? I am suppose to file a answer to the complaint regarding parental obligation within 30 days, it says that i have spent 0% with the child, and that fact may go against me ,but how can i spend time with someone i didnt even know was born.
\

Last edited:

Silverplum

I never signed anything, thats whats so confusing. I asked the child support agency today and they say that they have nothing on file, then how can they propose everything already down to the date when i should start paying., what is a cse
Gee, I figured out what "plz" meant.

Your thread is about a letter you received from Child Support Enforcement. What do YOU think CSE means?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">