• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Reasons to relinquish parental rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CONFUSEDGRAMZ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ca.

Desperately in need of advice. My 21 year old son was just served with a complaint to pay for child support of a 6 year old. The documents state that my son is named the father in the declaration of parentage on file with the local child support agency and that he should pay $292.00 a month. My question is, how can they name my son the father when he did not know he had a child until the papers were served on him.? He did ask for a paternity test to confirm. If it is his he is willing to pay support, but if he decides to relinquish his rights would that be immoral? The mother was 16 and my son was 14 when this allegedly happened. My son was not there at birth or any point in the childs life, he doesnt even know where they live. She on the other hand is now married. is relinquishing his rights as a father a possibility?.

RRevak

First off: this isn't your fight, its your sons. While I get you wanting to help (which is what us parents do) there is really nothing you can do. He has to be the one willing to get up and do some leg work.

Second: Is there already an order for support or is this for a hearing to determine support?

Biggest thing here is your son really needs to be the one signing on. We never like helping third parties because they often don't know the details enough and if information is wrong, or something is lost in translation, it could end up really biting your son in the rear. Please have him sign on so we can assist him further.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">