• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Recording Phone Conversations

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

abaga

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia

Is it legal for one party to record the conversations of the other party (parties) in the home? My family member is going through a divorce. Her husband is still in the home. It seems like every time something is said on the house phone (when he is not home), he seems to find out about it. This is a case of only the two people on the phone would even know what was said. It was not discussed with anyone else.

So, is it legal for the soon to be ex husband to record telephone conversations?

Thank you.

ecmst12

Doubtful, but it would take some pretty tricky (and illegal) equipment to accomplish it, at least if it's somehow hooked into the phone lines. As far as I know, only law enforcement can legally tap someone's phone, and only if they have a warrent (of course). Bugging the house would be a lot easier. But he can't actually USE any recording in any kind of legal proceeding.

abaga

Doubtful, but it would take some pretty tricky (and illegal) equipment to accomplish it, at least if it's somehow hooked into the phone lines. As far as I know, only law enforcement can legally tap someone's phone, and only if they have a warrent (of course). Bugging the house would be a lot easier. But he can't actually USE any recording in any kind of legal proceeding.
Thank you, ecmst12!

Is it illegal to bug the house???

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
However, if your family member is discussing things she doesn't want her spouse to know about, perhaps she should find a more secure method of communication?

Mass_Shyster

Recording phone calls is not tricky or expensive. A quick google shows you can get a device that will start recording as soon as you pick up the receiver. This item costs $19.99. I believe the tape recorder is extra, but it looks like it plugs into the microphone jack, and has a pause feature.

OP should follow all the phone lines in the house and see if there's anything funky plugged in anywhere.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
They very well can be. I will try to find the supporting information.
I'm not seeing anything to suggest that it would be illegal to set up covert cameras in a home, as long as the 'reasonable expectation of privacy' (bedrooms, bathrooms) is followed.

I'm curious to know; I helped a security professional pick out and set up the equipment for covert cameras/DVR for a client of his that wanted to see if the client's wife were abusing the client's child. If I did anything illegal, I'd like to know so I won't do it again.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">