• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Recovery of personal items

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

righteous

What is the name of your state? New York/New Jersey
My fiancee and I split up approximately one month before our wedding. She called off the wedding and I was obliged to take my sister with me on the trip that would have been our honeymoon. I am requesting that she give back my engagement ring as well as a personal item that I am very much in need of and which is of no use to her. These items are my boat cabin covers. The marina where I keep my boat is requiring me to put my boat in the water and is penalizing me for every day that it is on dry land. Without the covers for the cabin, the boat is in danger of being swamped during a rainstorm. My ex fiancee has no boat and replacements for the covers are hideously expensive. The ring, which is a family heirloom that she is well aware of, was given in New York as I reside in New York and my exfiancee is a resident of New Jersey. My exfiancee has not returned phone calls and has even refused a certified letter that I sent her. Where do I stand in this situation and is there anything I can do to facilitate the recovery of these two items if she has broken off all contact with me? As she knows from the one letter that did get through to her, I have items of hers, though much less valuable that I would like to return but as some of these are quite bulky (folding chairs), I would have to deliver them in person.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">