• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Refused my check?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

DoomedDaughter

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MO

Long story short, my mother sued me and we settled out of court. She made it so that either I pay her a settlement or pay even more in attorney's fees for litigation. Even though I believed I would win the case, I decided to settle since I don't have a bottomless pocket for an attorney.

Here's my question:

We agreed to monthly payments. I sent her a check with the words "extortion payoff" written on the "for" line of the check. She is refusing the check. Can she do that?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Last edited:

JETX

I sent her a check with the words "extortion payoff" written on the "for" line of the check. She is refusing the check. Can she do that?
Of course she can.... but then she is being just as childish as you are. Write her another check and exchange it for the one with your 3rd grade 'notation'.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Oh good grief. YOU ARE NOT BEING EXTORTED. You agreed to the settlement. Grow up and pay it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">