• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Relinquish Parental Rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Medic07

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Mississippi. I live in Mississippi, my daughter and her mother live in California. She has full custody of my daughter. Custody was filed in California. Which state do I have to file with to relinquish my parental rights?

Medic07

Child will be adopted. Mother has stated to me that her fiancè "provides everything for her and the child support is for me to finish my degree".

CourtClerk

Then I have no idea why you are asking this question as the TPR is done WITH the adoption (obviously, in CA) and not a moment before the adoption.

I hope you didn't throw mom's comments in to garner some sympathy. If you allowed yourself to be lowered to nothing more than a child support check, then you're getting what you asked for. She can do whatever she wants with her child support money.

Last edited:

LdiJ

Child will be adopted. Mother has stated to me that her fiancè "provides everything for her and the child support is for me to finish my degree".
An adoption cannot happen until mom is MARRIED for at least a year or so.

Prior to that you cannot relinquish your parental responsibilities and you will be paying child support until/unless that happens.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">