• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Reverting to my maiden name after death of spouse

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

par1357

I live in Pennsylvania. Second marriage lasted 11yrs. Then husband passed away. I want to return to my maiden name. Have been told that it will cost me $1000.00 to do this, but if I were divorced it wouldn't cost me anything.
Why? I am divorced from first husband. What forms do I need to file for myself? Where do I get them? How do I file for a court date myself? I have been paying so much in legal fees since he passed I am almost broke.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

par1357 said:
I live in Pennsylvania. Second marriage lasted 11yrs. Then husband passed away. I want to return to my maiden name. Have been told that it will cost me $1000.00 to do this, but if I were divorced it wouldn't cost me anything.
Why? I am divorced from first husband. What forms do I need to file for myself? Where do I get them? How do I file for a court date myself? I have been paying so much in legal fees since he passed I am almost broke.
My response:

During a divorce, the choice of going back to a maiden name is a check box on the forms, and the judge then orders that as part of the divorce orders. That's because the case is already opened, filing fees have been paid, and it's done with the "stroke of a pen" - - the papers are already in front of the judge.

However, once a divorce has been finalized, and no one has asked to revert to a previous name, then the divorce orders won't reflect that, and the case is closed.

Now, if you want to change names, a new case file must be opened, requiring new filing fees. Yes, it's a simple matter to do, but you just have to pay your filing fee and other costs all over again.

So, to make this as simple as possible for you, all you need to do is go to a major bookstore, and in their "legal section", find and buy a book on the subject of "Changing your Name". Follow the instructions VERY carefully.

Good luck to you.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">