• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Right to the house

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? ct

I bought my own home and my boyfriend moved in 4 years later. We split household costs, each having our own bank accounts. He pays me through a set amount each month (like rent) that goes into one joint account that is used to pay the mortgage, his "rent" goes towards paying my mortgage but not all of it. He has moved out and is now threatening to take my house from me claiming he has been paying the mortgage. He states he has gotten a lawyer that says he owns 1/2 the house and can force me to sell and give him half of the worth of the home (incidently the equity is double what I owe on it) Can he get my house?

ecmst12

Very very unlikely. If you receive any court summons though, hire a professional to handle it.

How lond did he live there?

nextwife

I presume you never added him to title?

Paying on a debt does not transfer ownership of property. And an unmarried couple living together conveys no "marital interest" either.

LdiJ

I bought my own home and my boyfriend moved in 4 years later. We split household costs, each having our own bank accounts. He pays me through a set amount each month (like rent) that goes into one joint account that is used to pay the mortgage, his "rent" goes towards paying my mortgage but not all of it. He has moved out and is now threatening to take my house from me claiming he has been paying the mortgage. He states he has gotten a lawyer that says he owns 1/2 the house and can force me to sell and give him half of the worth of the home (incidently the equity is double what I owe on it) Can he get my house?
I agree with Nextwife. You are not married and if he is not on the deed then he has no ownership interest in the home at all, he was merely a tenant. He is totally bluffing you about the attorney.

However...even if you had been married, he would not be entitled to 1/2 of the WORTH of the home. He would only be entitled to 1/2 of the EQUITY that accrued DURING the marriage.

I've been through this.
Ex and I bought a house 3 months prior to marriage.
His name only was put on deed and mortgage.
We married.
We split 1.5 yr later.
Even though we were married, I didn't still get 1/2 the house. Had proof of $15,000 in home improvements all from MY account.
The only thing I got back was the down payment that I could prove I made.
He's your tenant, so, did you evict him properly? He could use that to sue you for some $$$, but he can't sue for the house.

Thanks for the replies. I thought he was blowing smoke but got nervous.
He lived here three years. I did not ask him to leave or evict him, it was his choice (gladly so).
I knew something was funny when he became mad that I would not put his name on the house almost as soon as he moved in. I told him NO in no uncertain terms, so his name is not on anything I own (phew).
And IF he does send me a summons I will take your advice and hire my own attorney.

Thanks

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">