• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Rights of adult children to contact terminally ill parents

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LUCYLU

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? GA

My sister recently moved to GA from NJ. Her husband was diagnosed with a terminal illness. Her husband's son, with whom he has not had contact with for over 20 years, came to visit when he found out his father was ill.

His visit included few questions about his father's condition, but many about assets (of which there are few). My sister and her husband jointly own a home and a truck (both paid off). They updated their will when they moved to GA, but the content was the same. They have been married for 12 years, and she is the sole beneficiary. He supported his son financially through his childhood and education, but they could never find common ground for a good personal relationship.

After his visit, the son started calling his father and upsetting him with inappropriate questions ("Can I have your truck?" "Who's in the will?" "Who gets your house?" etc.) so my sister "call blocked" him so as not to have her sick husband upset.

He is now threatening "legal action" to call and/or visit his father at any time. My brother-in-law does not wish to talk to him now, and my sister (who is exhausted caring for her sick husband) is now frightened she will have to deal with some "legal action". Does he really have any rights to demand this? The Georgia will was drawn up by a fine attorney, but we are wondering what constitutes grounds for contesting a will. Any advice would be helpful. Thank you.

Silverplum

Rights of adult children to contact terminally ill parents

The question/s in your post don't match the title.

If you're interested in estate law, post there.

If you're wondering if your BIL has to allow contact, there is no such "right."

People use the word, "right," waaaaaay too often. If it's in the Constitution, it's your right. If it's not, it's not. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

My sister recently moved to GA from NJ. Her husband was diagnosed with a terminal illness. Her husband's son, with whom he has not had contact with for over 20 years, came to visit when he found out his father was ill.

His visit included few questions about his father's condition, but many about assets (of which there are few). My sister and her husband jointly own a home and a truck (both paid off). They updated their will when they moved to GA, but the content was the same. They have been married for 12 years, and she is the sole beneficiary. He supported his son financially through his childhood and education, but they could never find common ground for a good personal relationship.

After his visit, the son started calling his father and upsetting him with inappropriate questions ("Can I have your truck?" "Who's in the will?" "Who gets your house?" etc.) so my sister "call blocked" him so as not to have her sick husband upset.

He is now threatening "legal action" to call and/or visit his father at any time. My brother-in-law does not wish to talk to him now, and my sister (who is exhausted caring for her sick husband) is now frightened she will have to deal with some "legal action". Does he really have any rights to demand this? The Georgia will was drawn up by a fine attorney, but we are wondering what constitutes grounds for contesting a will. Any advice would be helpful. Thank you.

LdiJ

No state has any statutes that give adult children standing to sue for visitation of their parents. They have standing to sue for guardianship in extreme situations, but not visitation.

If the house and car are jointly owned, they will pass outside of any estate and the adult son won't be able to challenge ownership of those. The adult child could only challenge assets that would be within the estate.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">