• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Rights after 20 yr relationship-Palimony?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

michelle00729

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CALIFORNIA

Hello,

I'm writing on behalf of my sister. My sister has been living with her fiance for 20 years (She is 39 and he is 44). In 1995 they got engaged. He has now decided that he is not happy and has ended their relationship. She is devastated and found out that he is already dating someone. They are still living in the same place together. He is trying to force her to leave and wants her out of their place.

They don't own a home together. She lost her job a few years ago and has temped here and there. He has a steady job, plus overtime that he has been working out for at least 5 years. During the course of their relationship he was out of work for a couple of years and she supported him.

Does she have any rights to Palimony? Does this qualify for Common Law? Does she have any rights at all?

Thank you for your time.

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CALIFORNIA

Hello,

I'm writing on behalf of my sister. My sister has been living with her fiance for 20 years (She is 39 and he is 44). In 1995 they got engaged. He has now decided that he is not happy and has ended their relationship. She is devastated and found out that he is already dating someone. They are still living in the same place together. He is trying to force her to leave and wants her out of their place.

They don't own a home together. She lost her job a few years ago and has temped here and there. He has a steady job, plus overtime that he has been working out for at least 5 years. During the course of their relationship he was out of work for a couple of years and she supported him.

Does she have any rights to Palimony? Does this qualify for Common Law? Does she have any rights at all?

Thank you for your time.
California does not recognize common law marriage. Your sister needs to do whatever she can to just move on and start over.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">