• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Rights as Married Couple that is seperated

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sreed01

What is the name of your state? Georgia
I am married and my husband is in jail right now for battering me, I have a TPO and am wondering since he's in jail I have recieved his last paycheck and he wanted me to cash it and give him some money but I want to know what are my rights as his wife to that money. Do I have to give him anything or am I entitled to the full amount since we are married? An officer in my city said I'm entitled to everything that is his and he the same, is she right? Please help!! We do have a child together and I need the money to help with expenses but I do not want to end up having to pay him back. There is no current child support order.:confused:

Gracie3787

What is the name of your state? Georgia
I am married and my husband is in jail right now for battering me, I have a TPO and am wondering since he's in jail I have recieved his last paycheck and he wanted me to cash it and give him some money but I want to know what are my rights as his wife to that money. Do I have to give him anything or am I entitled to the full amount since we are married? An officer in my city said I'm entitled to everything that is his and he the same, is she right? Please help!! We do have a child together and I need the money to help with expenses but I do not want to end up having to pay him back. There is no current child support order.:confused:
Was his paycheck direct deposited into a joint account?
If so, yes, you have legal access to any money in that joint account.

Or, if he has his own bank account, with you as legal POA on it, you can deposit the check and then cash a check out of the account.

If neither of the above applies, you won't have legal access to the paycheck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">