• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ring issues

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mademployee

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TX

Hey yall I hope this is the right place to post this..

About 2 months ago I meet this lady from Alabama and she decided to move in with me. Well after about 8 days of knowing her I thought i had meet someone i wanted to spend the rest of my life with so I decided to give her a ring and declare my love for her. Well now thats out the window and she is leaving me. I want that ring back and is there anything legally i can do to get it back? We never got married.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
Thanks for the help. She lives in Alabama now can they make her come to court? Also she is on disability and i heard you couldn't sue someone on disability. Is this true?
They (whoever they are) can't make her do anything. You can sue anyone at any time for anything.

Is this really worth the hassle? Consider it a stupid tax and decide that you'll wait for at least several months of knowing someone before you give them any jewelry. ;)

mademployee

They (whoever they are) can't make her do anything. You can sue anyone at any time for anything.

Is this really worth the hassle? Consider it a stupid tax and decide that you'll wait for at least several months of knowing someone before you give them any jewelry. ;)
Since she broke up with me she has to give the ring back right? I was told that was the case in Texas. If I break up with her she can keep the ring but, since she left me she has to give it back. I was told anything over $2,500 was a felony and the authorities would get involved if she did not return it. I spent $2,700 for the ring. Did I get screwed?

justalayman

"giving" her a ring may make a lot of difference.

Was it simply a gift to her? In other words, was this an engagement ring (and was that her understanding also) or was it simply a ring, as you put it, a declaration of your love for her. You never said it was an engagement ring.

mademployee

"giving" her a ring may make a lot of difference.

Was it simply a gift to her? In other words, was this an engagement ring (and was that her understanding also) or was it simply a ring, as you put it, a declaration of your love for her. You never said it was an engagement ring.
She had to leave and go to Alabama b/c one of her grandchildren was ill and before she left I gave her the ring and told her I loved her. I didn't want any other guys thinking she was single.

VeronicaLodge

if it was conditioned upon marriage, like an engagment ring, but just a gift with an "i love you" then it was a gift and its hers.

justalayman

before she left I gave her the ring and told her I loved her.
if it was simply a gift, then it is hers. If it was an engagement ring, then you have claim to it. Since your answer was not clear, I can't be any clearer with my answer.

as to the felony situation; not happening. this is not a criminal situation, only civil.

mademployee

Thanks everyone for taking time out and helping me with my little issue. No it was not an engagement ring so i guess I'm screwed. You live and you learn right?

Everyone have a good day

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">