• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ring question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

randomness82

What is the name of your state? Washington State

I have read many posts on here about broken engagements and they really haven’t pointed me in the right direction.... About 3 weeks ago I got a call from my fiancé saying that we were over and that he didn’t want to get married. He is currently deployed with the USN and has been gone for the last 6 1/2 months. We were together for 4 years and he says that he has been unhappy since Jan. He said that with our relationship there have been more unhappy times than happy with him. He never gave me any indication that he was unhappy. I got out of a different branch of the military in July because we would have been duel military and it would have been difficult. I gave up a career to marry him. When he called it off I told him I wanted the plane ticket that he bought for us to fly to NY for a friend’s wedding so I could be with my parents for a few days, the Dyson vacuum cleaner (not anticipating that he would really give it to me but it was a shot in the dark), and the rings. He said okay and seemed fine with it. Now, weeks later he is angry and pestering me for the rings. He says that I have no right to keep them. He is saying that even if we had got married the rings would have still belonged to him. Right now I can’t even look at the rings but I know that months from now when my civilian temp job with the military runs out (that I took till he got home for us to pay for more wedding stuff) I am probably going to need the money. I lost out on a free move from the military because of him. I was supposed to move in with him at the end of the month so the movers came and packed up all of my stuff and now it’s in storage. I now have to get them bring it back to my house. I spent all the money that I had on this wedding and I won’t be getting any of the money back. He is supposed to be back in about 2 weeks and I need to know if I even have a leg to stand on to say no you can’t have them back. He's saying to keep the vacuum cleaner and the plane ticket money but he wants the rings so he can get back the money that he spent on them or he may possibly keep the diamond for later. I have the emails that he has sent to me saying that I could keep them. I'm not really sure if that would help me in the situation if he were to take me to court over them. I am going to go talk to the legal office here on base to see if they can help but any advice till then would be great. Thanks

mmmagique

I'm not sure if this info is up to date, but according to this site: Broken Engagements: Who Keeps the Ring? - Associated Content

"in a few less decisive states, like Texas and Washington State, the ring resides with the dumped. In other words, if a man breaks off an engagement with a woman, she is entitled to keep the ring. However, if she broke off the engagement herself, then she must return the engagement ring to him."

I wish you both luck. Sometimes being away and in the military does strange things to people; perhaps he'll wake up before it's too late.

Good luck to you,

~Christina

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">