• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

second marriage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dakaldi

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MA
my wife and I got married in vegas a year ago. It was not plan, so we were missing some paper. She used her driver license. She got married with me with her ex husband name. Can we get married again in massachusetts, using her maiden name ?
Or can you suggest a different option ?
Thank youWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

seniorjudge

Q: Can we get married again in massachusetts, using her maiden name ?

A: No; you are already married.

But what, exactly, is it that you want to do?

There may be other ways to get what you want done done.

nextwife

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MA
my wife and I got married in vegas a year ago. It was not plan, so we were missing some paper. She used her driver license. She got married with me with her ex husband name. Can we get married again in massachusetts, using her maiden name ?
Or can you suggest a different option ?
Thank youWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
I doubt she used her ex husband's name. She probably used HER name. Unless her ex husband is named Sue (or Beth, Jennifer or whatever).

Exactly what was her LEGAL name at the time you married her? That is the name she should have used.

dakaldi

1) to senorjudge : my wife and I want a marriage certificate with my name and her maiden name on it, instead of my name and her ex-husband name.

2) to nextwife : when we got married she was divorced, but the divorce as her first marriage were done in a different country, so she used her driver license which was not updated, and wrote her name, meaning her first name and her ex-husband last name. So on the marriage certificate we do not see her maiden name but her ex-husband name. And I don't think it's very legal...

Thanks for your help !

Last edited:

nextwife

1) to senorjudge : my wife and I want a marriage certificate with my name and her maiden name on it, instead of my name and her ex-husband name.

2) to nextwife : when we got married she was divorced, but the divorce as her first marriage were done in a different country, so she used her driver license which was not updated, and wrote her name, meaning her first name and her ex-husband last name. So on the marriage certificate we do not see her maiden name but her ex-husband name. And I don't think it's very legal...

Thanks for your help !
What was HER (not her ex's) LEGAL name when she married you?

She needed to use whatever her legal name was at the time, even if her legal name was still the same as her ex's last name.. If she never changed her name to her maiden name following divorce, she had to be married using whatever was her LEGAL name. You can't just decide to use a name you are more comfortable with.

dakaldi

her legal name name in the foreign country she divorced in was her maiden name.
because we were late in the paper work in the usa (the divorce was not translated) she used her ex-husband last name on the marriage paperwork.
Now we are applying for a green card and I' m worried that it looks odd to give a marriage certificate using the ex-husband last name !
thanks again, I know it's not easy to fugure it out...

penelope10

I assume the driver's license she used was a US one. Was the DL issued prior to her divorce or after?

I never have changed my last name from my married to maiden name after my divorce. If I remarried my marriage would be valid. I assume that in Las Vegas they might ask for maiden name and current name on the marriage license, so I really don't think this is much of an issue.....

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">