• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

seventeen with a dead daddy issue

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mayallusion

My sister is seventeen, will be eighteen in May, and her father died today. She hasn't had a chance to get a lawyer or try for emancipation yet, and is worried she will become a ward of the state or have to move in with family she barely knows out of state. Our mom is local, but the two have a chaotic relationship that both refuse to mend. Essentially, living with her is not an option in either of their eyes. Will the state emancipate her rather than force her to live with strangers for the next five months? Is there anything we can do so that she can come stay with me until she is eighteen, or her friends? The rest of the family do not make for a healthy environment, and she's fully capable of getting another job to support herself.

McHenry County, Illinois

Proserpina

My sister is seventeen, will be eighteen in May, and her father died today. She hasn't had a chance to get a lawyer or try for emancipation yet, and is worried she will become a ward of the state or have to move in with family she barely knows out of state. Our mom is local, but the two have a chaotic relationship that both refuse to mend. Essentially, living with her is not an option in either of their eyes. Will the state emancipate her rather than force her to live with strangers for the next five months? Is there anything we can do so that she can come stay with me until she is eighteen, or her friends? The rest of the family do not make for a healthy environment, and she's fully capable of getting another job to support herself.

McHenry County, Illinois

No, the state will not emancipate her.

If Mom agrees, she can basically live where she wants.

Silverplum

McHenry County, Illinois
She has a "Dead Daddy" issue?

Really?

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

I wouldn't pick *you* to support and guide her.

OHRoadwarrior

Here are the emancipation laws. That said, by the time she files for emancipation and the court hears the case, she will have graduated. Perhaps dads appointed executor can intervene and make arrangements with mom for her to continue living there until graduation.

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs/ilcs3.asp?ActID=2094&ChapterID=59

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">