• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

sharing mortgage payments husbands house

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MarSUE123

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY
We live on long island ny and my husband owned a home before we got married - I now pay 1/2 the mortgage - we both pay 1500 a month. He does'nt want to put our $ together or put my name on the mortgage. This bothers me - what if something happens to him or god forbid we get divorced. My family calls me the wife who pays rent.
We have nothing in our name togehter and he won't even put me on his car insurance - he has two kids from a prior marriage and I have one. What do I do to protect my daughters rights if something should happen to me. I want to be sure she is my beneficiary since my husband does not want anything together with me. What are my rights and what kind of legal papers do I need? Thanks.:confused:
I love my husband but my family says I have to protect myself and my daughter - I am starting to understand this after two years being married to him.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
If either of you die you qualify to take your intestate portion of the estate regardless of what the will states. However to provide for others in a portion more than what they may get without a will you need to write a will.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">