• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Should I agree to a change?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

therickman

Minnesota, Dakota County. Joint legal and physical. The ex is in MASS and I and the two kids in MINN (for the school year-She gets summers, long school weekends and at least one weekend a month). The Judgment and Decree states:"The Res shall pay the Pet, as and for child support $350 per month etc...At such time as child support is reviewed because of Res. move from the state on Minnesota, said child support shall be retroactive to the date of the move." She was earning $50k and I $35K at divorce April 2000. She quite her job in MINN in June and moved to MASS and started a new job in MASS for $35K in Nov. (I'm now at $31K). She is working in the same field but a lower wage (way lower). She wants to lower her support payment. The $350 a month she is currently paying is beyond Valento formula. The 50% 50% split of actual time is also closer to 60%-40% in favor of me, the school parent. ANYWAY, we went to mediation and she contends support should be dropped to a much lower number since her salery is now lower. (She says she is not "underemployed" since she is in the same field. I believe she took a lesser job in the field thus a lesser salery and her earning capacity is still $50K.) I say the $350 is a hard number in the decree and am not willing to go along with her lowering that number. For the life of us we can't figure out how we agreed on $350. I always knew it was higher than the formula said. But I guess it does not matter. If I do not cave (talk me out of caving) and agree to a lower support number in mediation and we have the court decide what is the court likely to say about the support issue? Thanks. Rick

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">