• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Should i drop these charges against my ex?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

babybitch2

La. Should I drop these charges against my ex?
Heyy me and my ex dated for about 4 months. Im pregnant with his child. We do not live together but my lawyer said its still domestic bc im preg. Ive been trying to break up with him for a lil over a month becouse he drinks way to much and constantly smokes weed,even in front of me while im preg. He had no respect for me,he would take me out and then make me pay. One night he was drunk and went completly crazyy! he was tellin me he wanted to die and then when i brought him home he spit in his grandpas face and took all his clothes off and got a knife out the droor. DIdnt do anything wit it but i was scared so i called me friend to pick me up,he spit in her face. I stayed with him after this but wanted to break up with him bc he's obviously mentally unstable. He went to a mental hospital for about 2 weeks and promised that he changed and that he quit drinking and drugs for good. I believed him,
When he got out it just got worse..he was drinking everynight and not listening to anything i had to say. Taking me for granted, At this point i found out i was preg but i couldnt be with him anymore,i couldnt take it anymore. One night i told him i wanted a break and i drove him to his house and told him to get out my car..he told me that I was getting out too..i said no so he took my purse. He started acting all crazy threatning me,sayin he was gunna hit me but neva did. I followed him into the house bc i wanted my purse back. When we got in there he was acting strange ( like telling me what to do,saying "turn the air on i'm hot" and "go get my cigerretes out the car right now" he's never talked to me like that and i wasn't about to have it. I told him to give me my purse and he dug a knife out the drawr, I was so scared,he didnt say that he was going to cut me or anything but i was scared..he chopped a banana in half...I tried to call the police bc he had a knife out and he was acting irrational but he grabbed my phone from me. Then he threw me my purse,put the knife down and gave me my phone. I called the cops back and he started freaking out acting like he did nothing wrong. He told me to take him down the street to his friend's house so i did bc i didnt really have a choice..he got in my car and i was scared of what he would do iff i didnt take him. when he got out i drove back to his house and waited for the cops to get there and they arrested him. i wrote a statement.
ANYWAYY they charged him with false imprisonment with a deadly weapon and simple battery. He thinks that the charge was ridiculous and all he did was "cut a banana". And that if i don't drop the charge he will go to jail for 10 years. He doesn't understand why i dont want to raise my child with him. What do i do???? and how would i go about dropping a charge?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Antigone*

La. Should I drop these charges against my ex?
Heyy me and my ex dated for about 4 months. Im pregnant with his child. We do not live together but my lawyer said its still domestic bc im preg. Ive been trying to break up with him for a lil over a month becouse he drinks way to much and constantly smokes weed,even in front of me while im preg. He had no respect for me,he would take me out and then make me pay. One night he was drunk and went completly crazyy! he was tellin me he wanted to die and then when i brought him home he spit in his grandpas face and took all his clothes off and got a knife out the droor. DIdnt do anything wit it but i was scared so i called me friend to pick me up,he spit in her face. I stayed with him after this but wanted to break up with him bc he's obviously mentally unstable. He went to a mental hospital for about 2 weeks and promised that he changed and that he quit drinking and drugs for good. I believed him,
When he got out it just got worse..he was drinking everynight and not listening to anything i had to say. Taking me for granted, At this point i found out i was preg but i couldnt be with him anymore,i couldnt take it anymore. One night i told him i wanted a break and i drove him to his house and told him to get out my car..he told me that I was getting out too..i said no so he took my purse. He started acting all crazy threatning me,sayin he was gunna hit me but neva did. I followed him into the house bc i wanted my purse back. When we got in there he was acting strange ( like telling me what to do,saying "turn the air on i'm hot" and "go get my cigerretes out the car right now" he's never talked to me like that and i wasn't about to have it. I told him to give me my purse and he dug a knife out the drawr, I was so scared,he didnt say that he was going to cut me or anything but i was scared..he chopped a banana in half...I tried to call the police bc he had a knife out and he was acting irrational but he grabbed my phone from me. Then he threw me my purse,put the knife down and gave me my phone. I called the cops back and he started freaking out acting like he did nothing wrong. He told me to take him down the street to his friend's house so i did bc i didnt really have a choice..he got in my car and i was scared of what he would do iff i didnt take him. when he got out i drove back to his house and waited for the cops to get there and they arrested him. i wrote a statement.
ANYWAYY they charged him with false imprisonment with a deadly weapon and simple battery. He thinks that the charge was ridiculous and all he did was "cut a banana". And that if i don't drop the charge he will go to jail for 10 years. He doesn't understand why i dont want to raise my child with him. What do i do???? and how would i go about dropping a charge?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
You say you don't want to raise your child with him, and in the same sentence you want to have charges dropped:confused: Do you realize how back and forth that sounds.

In any case, you have no say whether charges are filed or not. It is up to the prosecutor's office as to the charges he will face.

Banned_Princess

Honestly I did not read your whole post, I can not get past

dated for about 4 months. I'm pregnant with his child. We do not live together but my lawyer said its still domestic bc im preg. Ive been trying to break up with him for a lil over a month becouse he drinks way to much and constantly smokes weed,even in front of me while im preg.
What the He11.

What is wrong with you youngins????? Why are you having a baby with someone you only liked 2 months.??? ughhh.

Anyway, sure you can say you want to drop the charges, but its pretty much not up to you anymore. The state will pick it up and if you are subpoenaed to testify, you have no choice but to do it.

Ps, try your spell check, I live by mine.

Topic

I am sorry, I have to ask?

If you were so scared of him, why would you ever go back? Correct me if I am wrong, but this just makes no sense to me.

Then after you did go back, the incident happened, you called the police.

Isn't he or can't he say, if you were so scared to begin with why did you go back and still want to be with him? So, it must of not happened as you originally stated. (or you would not have gone back)

Seniors? Is it not possiable that he can come back at her and say just that? That there was never any abuse, and now she is making it up?

It does not appear that they may believe any or all of her story when contacting the police. Is it now a he said she said? The violence never bothered her to the point where she felt safe going back to him.

I am not by any means saying that it did not happen the way she says, just asking what her creditable looks like with her going back with him the first time?

That's what makes no sense to me. Why even want him back if it was so bad to begin with.

Antigone*

If you were so scared of him, why would you ever go back? Correct me if I am wrong, but this just makes no sense to me.

Then after you did go back, the incident happened, you called the police.

Isn't he or can't he say, if you were so scared to begin with why did you go back and still want to be with him? So, it must of not happened as you originally stated. (or you would not have gone back)

Seniors? Is it not possiable that he can come back at her and say just that? That there was never any abuse, and now she is making it up?

It does not appear that they may believe any or all of her story when contacting the police. Is it now a he said she said? The violence never bothered her to the point where she felt safe going back to him.

I am not by any means saying that it did not happen the way she says, just asking what her creditable looks like with her going back with him the first time?

That's what makes no sense to me. Why even want him back if it was so bad to begin with.

None of this made sense Topic...none of it.:(

Hisbabygirl77

Actually it is quite common for people in a domestic violence situation to stay/return to the abuser. This poster did suffer emotional/mental abuse. There are many reason why the do so some of feel they can "fix" the abuser, guilt and many more. Poster you can not (thank God) choose to drop the charges. There is a reason that they can proceed without you and that is because many in your situation or in a DV situation later want to drop the charges. You need to realize that your child will have this man for a father and you need to do what you can to protect if not yourself then your child.

Topic

I did not infer that there was or was not DV. What I said was she went back to him. She did not state any other DV reports in the past (there may have been) But the poster did not say so.

In any event, the poster, (if no other reports were made) really cannot prove DV at all, other than what she told the police. Which, is not proof, it is a police report. Hearsay.

She stated that he says, all he did was try to cut a banana. (How do you know for sure that this was not the fact)?

I do not justify DV at all. And protection should apply to the people who are truly involved in DV. However, again, for all we know the poster could be wanting to keep the child away from him and is making stories. ( Not that she is) Not implying so. But, in DV cases involving custody there has and is always the element that it was alleged because an upper hand in custody is sought.

With that being said, how creditable is the aligation? Where is the proof, if there were no prior reports and she went back?

And if there were priors, then yes, if for what ever reason she went back, they were hers. But there would have at least of been a prior instance reported.

However, she went back, for what ever her reasons and is now, claiming DV.

She will need more then she said he said in court.

All I was trying to get across is that it will show little crediability on her part, if there were no prior reports and she went back and is claiming them now.

Does not make DV right. And that is what most problems with courts, dv and custody issues are. There are true and false aligations.

Fact remains, she went back, for her reasons, so she must of not been that afraid to take the chance again.

Seniors? Am I wrong in thinking the way that I am? Do I make any sense? If not please tell me to shut up**************..

I am mearly trying to look at both sides. But if I am wrong, I will shut up and keep my opinions to myself.

Isis1

Actually it is quite common for people in a domestic violence situation to stay/return to the abuser. This poster did suffer emotional/mental abuse. There are many reason why the do so some of feel they can "fix" the abuser, guilt and many more. Poster you can not (thank God) choose to drop the charges. There is a reason that they can proceed without you and that is because many in your situation or in a DV situation later want to drop the charges. You need to realize that your child will have this man for a father and you need to do what you can to protect if not yourself then your child.
yup.

and OP, if you remain with this man and decide to continue with this pregnancy, he will have rights to this child once he decides to establish custody. and if you remain with him with this child, and for any reason he does this again, YOU will also have charges brought on you for child endangerment for continuing a relationship with someone who is violent around children.

Isis1

IsabellaSoriano, would like your input. Am I wrong to be thinking this way?
i got to be honest. anyone trying to rationalize the thought process of a domestic violence episode, will never find any sense. having been through a few instances myself.....even my own actions are not explainable. his actions are not explainable.

all i know now, is i did it ALL wrong. even after the police were called. for some stupid reason, the victims tend to backpeddle. i can't even explain WHY.

to me, she makes sense. to the DA, she probably won't. and they won't agree to drop the charges.

what they will do, is take the info between the victim and the attacker, and the police report, and the actual evidence, go with what does match up and make a case. and the fact that the victim mentioned a knife, and the attacker mentioned a knife, doesn't help at all.

Topic

No Sense

Thank you for the reply. I respect your answers. I cannot say that I understand it all, because I do not.

As, I, am sure, alot of other people do not either.

There is no reason for DV.

As there are no reasons for false aligations.

Bottom line, no matter what**************.....a child will suffer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">