• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Single mom won't pay bills

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Kaedence

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington State.

I am an 18 year old living with my disabled, single mother. She is receiving help from the state because of her disability. It affects her brain and her ability to make decisions like most adults and keeps her from being able to get a job. I help her pay for half of the bills with my paychecks and she is supposed to help with the other half. However, because of her medical condition my mom continues to fall for scams in which she gives all of her paycheck (or at least 80% of it) to a stranger who promises it will make her rich. Because of this, we've nearly gotten evicted numerous times and a great deal of our utilities are constantly getting shut off. I can't afford to pay for all the bills because I'm still in high school and every month I seem to have less and less money because of my having to pay for the bills. I cover the rent most times because I don't want us to get evicted, but I can't continue to afford it. I've tried talking to her about the scams to tell her that they are scams, but she doesn't believe me. Because of the way her brain and judgment has been affected by her medical condition, she truly believes that she is going to get rich quick; she constantly talks about it and buys into it. Is there anything that I can legally do to make sure the bills get paid? Do you have any other solutions to suggest?

Thanks in advance.

LdiJ

I am an 18 year old living with my disabled, single mother. She is receiving help from the state because of her disability. It affects her brain and her ability to make decisions like most adults and keeps her from being able to get a job. I help her pay for half of the bills with my paychecks and she is supposed to help with the other half. However, because of her medical condition my mom continues to fall for scams in which she gives all of her paycheck (or at least 80% of it) to a stranger who promises it will make her rich. Because of this, we've nearly gotten evicted numerous times and a great deal of our utilities are constantly getting shut off. I can't afford to pay for all the bills because I'm still in high school and every month I seem to have less and less money because of my having to pay for the bills. I cover the rent most times because I don't want us to get evicted, but I can't continue to afford it. I've tried talking to her about the scams to tell her that they are scams, but she doesn't believe me. Because of the way her brain and judgment has been affected by her medical condition, she truly believes that she is going to get rich quick; she constantly talks about it and buys into it. Is there anything that I can legally do to make sure the bills get paid? Do you have any other solutions to suggest?

Thanks in advance.
Have you tried talking to the police about the "stranger"?

mistoffolees

Have you tried talking to the police about the "stranger"?
That's a start.

However, there may be a bigger problem. OP may have to have Mom declared incompetent and take Mom's responsibility away. It's not clear that Mom is unfit (giving money to scammers is not a mental health condition, although it MAY BE a symptom of one).

First step would be for Mom to get a thorough mental health evaluation.

My bigger concern is that OP is taking on a huge burden and that's a lot of responsibility for a very young adult. Is there anyone else who can help? Does Mom have other family members who can help out?

Gracie3787

Thanks in advance.
Is your mother recieving social security disabilty?

If she is, since you are now an adult you can go to the SSA and ask them how to start the process of making you your mom's representitive payee. Once that is done, you will take on the responsibility of paying the bills with your mother's benefits, and since you'll have control of her money you can prevent her from falling for scams.

Is your mother recieving social security disabilty?

If she is, since you are now an adult you can go to the SSA and ask them how to start the process of making you your mom's representitive payee. Once that is done, you will take on the responsibility of paying the bills with your mother's benefits, and since you'll have control of her money you can prevent her from falling for scams.
Super advice! I did not know that this was possible. But she appears not to be doing this w/o your knowledge (she talks about it). You may wish to explain or show her others who have fallen for these scam artists and why she should allow you to review these scams before she forks over any money to them. Ask for a meeting with these scammers. Get a joint checking account that requires both you signature. How are these scammers contacting her? Via telephone, then change her number or get a voip phone. Comming to her abode? Put up no tresspassing notices. Through friends, talk to the friends. If she wants to get rich quick, then allow her to invest in the stock market in a joint account...sounds like she might as well be playing the options market.

Kaedence

Thank you so much for all of the prompt responses.

LdiJ- I haven't contacted the police about the solicitors. There's more than one stranger coming from various sources (phone, in person, mail, etc). Is there anything that can be done about this legally?

Mistoffolees- Thank you for that suggestion. I'll look into the costs of having an evaluation since we don't have health insurance right now. As for your other concern, it's greatly appreciated, but I'm the only trustworthy relative when it comes to finances. My sister housed my mother for a while, but she didn't take her medication for months while she was there because my sister took all her money. Once the time comes for me to move out and go to college, I may have to look into putting her into assisted living.

Gracie- Wonderful! I did a little research on representative payees and it sounds like the exact type of solution I'm seeking. I'm going to call SSA and learn a little more about the process/requirements involved.

Thanks again so much everyone.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
OP - I just wanted to tell you how impressed I am with your maturity and sense of responsibility regarding your Mom. It's a rare thing to see in people your age, but those like you restore one's faith. Best of luck in whatever you choose to do in life.

mistoffolees

OP - I just wanted to tell you how impressed I am with your maturity and sense of responsibility regarding your Mom. It's a rare thing to see in people your age, but those like you restore one's faith. Best of luck in whatever you choose to do in life.
co-sign....

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">