• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

small claims

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

brainiac54

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan

My girlfriend borrowed money for her first house payment which was at the time of her daughters birthday. I loaned her money for that too and all the food. I have receipts for everything and I have her text messages owning up to the total. Are txt messages enough evidence to reclaim my money? I also have the checks I wrote to her for this money. Should I sue and how do you go about suing?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan

My girlfriend borrowed money for her first house payment which was at the time of her daughters birthday. I loaned her money for that too and all the food. I have receipts for everything and I have her text messages owning up to the total. Are txt messages enough evidence to reclaim my money? I also have the checks I wrote to her for this money. Should I sue and how do you go about suing?

Could be proof. Did you eat the food? Did you live with her? What exactly do the text messages say?

brainiac54

I did not live with her and I bought all dinners. The messages say she will pay me the money she owes. Another one says she calculated a certain amount of money she owed me. to quote "I will pay you the money I owe you but you better not talk to me again". I calculate I owe you $650.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I did not live with her and I bought all dinners. The messages say she will pay me the money she owes. Another one says she calculated a certain amount of money she owed me. to quote "I will pay you the money I owe you but you better not talk to me again". I calculate I owe you $650.
Dinners are a gift -- you were dating. Those things happen. If she states she owes you $650 you can probably get the $650.

brainiac54

the dinners aren't included in the total. You had asked if I ate there.
How do I go about filling a claim such as this? How do I approach her about this?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Send her a letter asking for payment of $650 within 15 days.
If she doesn't respond, file a small claims suit.

brainiac54

she is no longer my girlfriend. Right after I loaned her the money and threw her daughter a great b-day party she went silent and said she needed her space. Come to find out she started seeing the guy that did the floors in her house.

HomeGuru

she is no longer my girlfriend. Right after I loaned her the money and threw her daughter a great b-day party she went silent and said she needed her space. Come to find out she started seeing the guy that did the floors in her house.
**A: oh no, not a liason with that flooring guy.

brainiac54

she is no longer my girlfriend. Right after I gave her money for her first house payment and also bought all her daughters presents and food for her party she said she needed space and quit talking to me. 3 days later I find her with the guy who was doing the floors in the house and asked her what is going on. She blew and told me to get away from her. The two are now an item.

seniorjudge

These kinds of cases are extremely disliked by small claims judges.

Post back with results.

My guess is you will not get a judgment for anything.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
she is no longer my girlfriend. Right after I gave her money for her first house payment and also bought all her daughters presents and food for her party she said she needed space and quit talking to me. 3 days later I find her with the guy who was doing the floors in the house and asked her what is going on. She blew and told me to get away from her. The two are now an item.
Well I can see why that may have bothered you. It seems she led you. I'm told that is a hard talent to find. :D

brainiac54

I guess being friends for 11 years before hand meant nothing either. Yeah, you don't expect that from someone you know.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">