+ Reply to Thread

Thread: son owes money

ls1ma2 Guest

son owes money

What is the name of your state? Wisconsin

over the last 1 1/2 years my 20 year old son has borrowed over $3,000 always with the promise of paying it back. he has made sporatic token payments because he was in between jobs; broke his arm; money has been stolen; etc. now he has a steady good paying job and has promised to make $100 a month payments. since starting new job, he has made 2 payments. march's payment wasn't made because he had to buy a car. I have had enough of this. I too have bills to pay. how can I legally go about collecting the money he owes me or at least legally get him to make his monthly payments. I am at my wits end and do not care to hear about the long term ramifications about parent child relationships.
    VeronicaGia is offline Senior Member
    Do you have an agreement in writing that this is a loan? Did you write "Loan" on the bottom of the check you gave him? Did he write checks in repayment of pay cash?

You need proof that he received the money, it was a loan, and he has made payments proving he intends to pay it back. If you have all that, take him to small claims court. If not, it's your word against his.