• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Son sleeping at husbands gilfriends house

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lcr

Texas

My legal husband is living with his girlfriend in the same city were we both reside (Houston, Texas). We are still married and have not yet filed for divorce. I don’t have a problem with this. The problem I have is, he wants my 13 year old son to spend weekends with him, at the girlfriend’s house. I don’t think it is appropriate. I don’t have any problem with him seeing his dad OR the girlfriend, just not sleeping at her house. Last weekend I refused to let my son go, and he (husband) said he could legally make me let him go. My question is: does he have a right to take him, and make him spend the night with him?

Antigone*

Texas

My legal husband is living with his girlfriend in the same city were we both reside (Houston, Texas). We are still married and have not yet filed for divorce. I don’t have a problem with this. The problem I have is, he wants my 13 year old son to spend weekends with him, at the girlfriend’s house. I don’t think it is appropriate. I don’t have any problem with him seeing his dad OR the girlfriend, just not sleeping at her house. Last weekend I refused to let my son go, and he (husband) said he could legally make me let him go. My question is: does he have a right to take him, and make him spend the night with him?
Is there a court order in place, and if so, what does it say about over-night visits?

Antigone*

Absolutely nothing has been filed.
Then has has just as much right to his son as you do. What dad does on his parenting time is really none of your business.

My suggestion to you is file for divorce, put a parenting plan in place and add a "no-overnight guest" stipulation in the order that BOTH of you must follow.

lcr

I do understand what you’re saying; I just don’t think my 13 yr. son should have to be around while his dad is committing adultery.

LdiJ

I do understand what you’re saying; I just don’t think my 13 yr. son should have to be around while his dad is committing adultery.
I don't blame you. That's a really tough age to have to be dealing with a parent's adultery. Its a very vulnerable age.

While the other poster was technically correct, if there are no court orders in place you are free to refuse to send your child to dad's girlfriend's house for the weekend.

Dad of course would also be free to file for divorce and to get court orders in place regarding custody. There is very little likelihood that he wouldn't be given overnights, therefore once orders are in place, your son will be spending the night.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">