• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

son's name change

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

O

onesilichic

My son's biological father lives in FL, where we lived up until 6 months ago. I contacted a lawyer before leaving, asking if I had to let the father know that we were moving. Three lawyers said no, b/c the father was not paying child support and had no court order.
He has only called twice since we left, and emailed a few times to ask about some money. No Christmas or birthday presents for my son.
My question is this: how do I go about getting my son's last name changed to mine? He has his father's last name right now. We now live in CA with a loving man who takes care of both of us and we plan on getting married.

J

jwf49

The following is based on personal experience in Ohio. If your child is a minor, and the biological father has never formally established paternity (DNA tests,Notorized Statements of Responsibility, etc.), then you might be able to go through California's Children Services Bureau (I don't know what they call the agency in California so you may have to make few phone calls). In Ohio the county children services bureau will often advocate on behalf of single mothes at no charge in these instances.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">