• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Spousal benefits (civil union)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

krpease

I recently started with a company (in Iowa) which provides medical benefits for "your legal spouse" (to quote them). I am a party in a civil union from Vermont, established before the start of my employment. Vermont recognises us as legal spouses, but not as being married. After searching Iowa's code, I found that they don't accept same sex marriages, but say nothing about civil unions; nor could I find a definition of spouse listed in the code. The company has no specific exclusion for civil unions. Since we are recognised as legal spouses by a state, and there is nothing denying recognition of that spousal status here that I can find,, shouldn't the company be required to provide spousal benefits to her? It seems, to me, akin to having a driver's license from Alaska, moving to Florida, and being asked there "Do you have a driver's license" (no state specified), and Florida has no law banning recognition of Alaskan drivers licenses; the obvious answer is "yes". Am I incorrect in my thinking?

- Karen

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">