• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Spousal Financial Assistance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Tigger21015

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maryland

My 19-year-old niece came back into my life, after a +/- 2 year hiatus, married and addicted to heroin. Her husband is deployed in Iraq (Army). I got my niece into a 21-day rehab and will be discharged on 12/9/08. To help her remain on a “clean” path, my next step is a sober living facility. Throughout the past 2-months of helping, I have tried to contact her husband through e-mail and voice messages. I was able to contact him once and was told he would contact me once he came into town for a 2-week R&R tentatively scheduled for mid-November. To date, I have not heard from him and my out-of-pocket expense is +/- $2,000.00 and growing. My issue is not in stopping assistance, but one of financial obligation/responsibility. I cannot continue to afford this unexpected expense. Other family members are/will not help. Can my niece’s spouse be forced to financially provide? The only thing being provided by him for her is insurance (thank goodness) however his income is directly deposited into a joint account with him and his stepmother.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">