• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Spousal Support and Medicaid

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

titterin

New Hampshire

My Dad has been the breadwinner in the family, and now has entered a Nursing Home, living previously in an Assisted Living Facility. My Mom has been living on her own Social Security, and a monthly stipend from my Dad to live in her owns subsidised apartment. We are now applying for Medicaid and are in the Resource Assessment process. Is there a way to get a court order for spousal support for my Mom that may be more generous than what Medicaid may say my Mom can live on and be close to the nursing home ? Currently my Dad is paying off Credit Card Debt, medical deductibles and car maintenance for my Mom. I worry that there will not be enough spousal support for the above expenses and payments once Medical takes most of my Dad's income. Does my Mom have to become a Guardian over my Dad and will a court order for Spousal Support help to reduce my Dad's income for Medicaid purposes ?

Proserpina

New Hampshire

My Dad has been the breadwinner in the family, and now has entered a Nursing Home, living previously in an Assisted Living Facility. My Mom has been living on her own Social Security, and a monthly stipend from my Dad to live in her owns subsidised apartment. We are now applying for Medicaid and are in the Resource Assessment process. Is there a way to get a court order for spousal support for my Mom that may be more generous than what Medicaid may say my Mom can live on and be close to the nursing home ? Currently my Dad is paying off Credit Card Debt, medical deductibles and car maintenance for my Mom. I worry that there will not be enough spousal support for the above expenses and payments once Medical takes most of my Dad's income. Does my Mom have to become a Guardian over my Dad and will a court order for Spousal Support help to reduce my Dad's income for Medicaid purposes ?
Are they still married?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">