• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

state law for seventeen year old son

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

terrylyn

My son says he can move from home at seventeen in Wisconsin to Michigan and it's legal.Is this the law and what are a mother's rights to keep him home?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

terrylyn said:
My son says he can move from home at seventeen in Wisconsin to Michigan and it's legal.Is this the law and what are a mother's rights to keep him home?
My response:

How do you keep a cat from roaming ? Even if you lock up a cat in the house, the cat will eventually find a way to escape.

Your son is wrong. The age of consent for sex in your State is 17, which has nothing to do with leaving home. Until he's 18, he's still a minor, subject to your control and the runaway and truancy laws (if he's enrolled in school).

The point of my first paragraph is the "reality" of the situation. Unless there's something mentally or physically wrong with your son, let him go. I realize the maternal instinct is strong, but let's face it, he's probably ready to leave the nest.

Isn't that the purpose of raising your son ? If you brought him up well, then if you love him, let him see what it's like. He'll be back; I assure you - - they always do.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">