• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

step parent income required-college

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

susan_k74

I am applying for FASFA, college education paperwork for my daughter. My husband(step-parent) refuses to supply his income on the forms. It is required. He has no obligation under MGL's to support step child. FASFA can't help. The marriage has to continue at this time. Any ideas how to make my husband report the information? I really need help. The biological fathers also refuses to help with college. I do not make enough money to pay. Please any advice.

Litigation!

susan_k74 said:
I am applying for FASFA, college education paperwork for my daughter. My husband(step-parent) refuses to supply his income on the forms. It is required. He has no obligation under MGL's to support step child. FASFA can't help. The marriage has to continue at this time. Any ideas how to make my husband report the information? I really need help. The biological fathers also refuses to help with college. I do not make enough money to pay. Please any advice.

My response:

As you know, FASFA utilizes "household" income, rather than "one" person's income. No one can "make" your husband do anything, and your daughter is not "owed" anything from your husband.

It appears that your daughter will just have to go to work to pay for her own education - - part time, if that's what is required.

IAAL

ceara19

Litigation! said:
My response:

As you know, FASFA utilizes "household" income, rather than "one" person's income. No one can "make" your husband do anything, and your daughter is not "owed" anything from your husband.

It appears that your daughter will just have to go to work to pay for her own education - - part time, if that's what is required.

IAAL
I agree that dad and step-dad and mom for that matter, don't OWE the girl an education, but they shouldn't be trying to prevent her from receiving any type of aid she may be entitled to. FASFA has provisions for a parent refusing to disclose the income to the child.

Litigation!

ceara19 said:
I agree that dad and step-dad and mom for that matter, don't OWE the girl an education, but they shouldn't be trying to prevent her from receiving any type of aid she may be entitled to. FASFA has provisions for a parent refusing to disclose the income to the child.

My response:

From what I gather from our writer's post, it's not just a matter of "disclos[ing] the income to the child." I'm understanding the post to mean that the step wants nothing to do at all with this process and will not disclose his information "to the outside world."

Quite frankly, I don't blame him. Step Dad didn't "marry" the daughter, and owes her squat. Momma Bear should look to the bio-parent for this information, and have a court "force" him to step up to the plate.

IAAL

susan_k74

To Litigation

Litigation! said:
My response:

From what I gather from our writer's post, it's not just a matter of "disclos[ing] the income to the child." I'm understanding the post to mean that the step wants nothing to do at all with this process and will not disclose his information "to the outside world."

Quite frankly, I don't blame him. Step Dad didn't "marry" the daughter, and owes her squat. Momma Bear should look to the bio-parent for this information, and have a court "force" him to step up to the plate.

IAAL
As required by the State LAW when filing papers, the income is required. It does not state he has to pay for college. It is looking for household income. The same as if there was a renter living here; there income is also required by STATE LAW. "Loco parentis" is where this falls. The step parent married me. When he did this he did take these children as a voluntary assumed obligation which means "in lieu of a parent". Step paretns who take responsibility for children have a duty to act inloco parentis. ALL STATE ASSISTANCE is done by income. For the bio father; once there is a divorce there is no law requiring him to pay. I am not asking for either to pay. I am asking for the information so that my daughter can apply for assistance such as grants.

ceara19

susan_k74 said:
As required by the State LAW when filing papers, the income is required. It does not state he has to pay for college. It is looking for household income. The same as if there was a renter living here; there income is also required by STATE LAW. "Loco parentis" is where this falls. The step parent married me. When he did this he did take these children as a voluntary assumed obligation which means "in lieu of a parent". Step paretns who take responsibility for children have a duty to act inloco parentis. ALL STATE ASSISTANCE is done by income. For the bio father; once there is a divorce there is no law requiring him to pay. I am not asking for either to pay. I am asking for the information so that my daughter can apply for assistance such as grants.
If someone were renting a room in the same house the daughter lives in, that person's income WOULD NOT count towards the household income! That's like saying you would need to get all of your neighbors income info if you lived in an apartment building.

OP can probably get by with out disclosing step dads income. Not disclosing dad's income could be trickier. Don't you have his estimated income from the last time you went to court?

And I too am wondering, how come you don't know how much your own HUSBAND makes? He sounds a tad controlling.

susan_k74

step father income

Yes I know the income. It is the adjusted I dont know since he has not filed taxes in 2 years. Also we are both self employed. I have filed my taxes! He is the step father so I told him what was required on paper. He says he refuses to give the information. So, in my eyes it is wrong for me to put his information when he has said no. Would this not be out of respect! To further add insult to injury: I find out through the financial aid conselor that for scholarships his income would be asked too! Shouldn't the education come first to help your child succeed? Maybe 20 years ago education was not a priority but it sure is these days!

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
susan_k74 said:
Yes I know the income. It is the adjusted I dont know since he has not filed taxes in 2 years. Also we are both self employed. I have filed my taxes! He is the step father so I told him what was required on paper. He says he refuses to give the information. So, in my eyes it is wrong for me to put his information when he has said no. Would this not be out of respect! To further add insult to injury: I find out through the financial aid conselor that for scholarships his income would be asked too! Shouldn't the education come first to help your child succeed? Maybe 20 years ago education was not a priority but it sure is these days!
If he hasn't filed taxes in two years and has had income, you have bigger problems than FAFSA. Unless he earned nothing or less than the minimum amount he should have filed. And education is a priority. But so is financial need.

ceara19

Report the income. If it make your husband mad, so be it. Would you rather make your husband or potentially keep the child going to college,

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">