• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

step parents involvement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Loriv6017

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois. Does my ex husbands new wife have a legal right to be at parent teacher conferences? We do not get along and there is always verbal confrontations. What can I do abotu this?

FarmerJ

Even if you dont get along you can learn to not respond to any negatives offered especially if there is split custody or enough visitation that in both homes school homework will be done. You could talk to your ex and ask your ex to re direct his new mate to either say nothing or remained focused on the child wich is the whole point of parent teacher confs . Legally the step parent is just that a step parent with zero rights to parenting decisions BUT like it or not this person is going to be involved in many things as a family unit, If you can learn to set aside and ignore any behaviour not appropriate from the step parent and keep focused on the child you share not only will your child do better BUT your child will never be put on the spot by bad behaviour of the adults.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
No, she does NOT have a legal right to be at parent teacher conferences but FarmerJ gave some good dealing advice.

VeronicaLodge

i just dont get why a stepparent wants to be invovled in these things! sheesh. i love my step kids but i'll let mom and dad handle this crap!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">