• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Step Sister is trying to steal my Step father, please help!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

FreddyH

Florida

I wanted to describe a situation and would greatly appreciate it if you can provide your feedback and/or point me in the right direction. My mother-in-law (Jackie) has been married to my step father-in-law (Bob) for 5 years. They live in Florida and they are both suffering from dementia and have daily care givers that visit their house.

Bob’s daughter Jan has declared that she is taking Bob away to live with her in Orlando which is 1 hour away and that “he will be spending the rest of his last few years with her.” Jackie will be left alone and be forced to move out-of-state to live with one of her 5 children. Jackie and Bob appear to love each other and all they want is to be together but Jan is manipulating Bob and making all decisions for him. Jackie will be devastate once she realizes what is going on.

Is there any way to stop Jan from essentially kidnapping her father Bob from his wife and step family?

Thank you so much.

Fred

Proserpina

Florida

I wanted to describe a situation and would greatly appreciate it if you can provide your feedback and/or point me in the right direction. My mother-in-law (Jackie) has been married to my step father-in-law (Bob) for 5 years. They live in Florida and they are both suffering from dementia and have daily care givers that visit their house.

Bob’s daughter Jan has declared that she is taking Bob away to live with her in Orlando which is 1 hour away and that “he will be spending the rest of his last few years with her.” Jackie will be left alone and be forced to move out-of-state to live with one of her 5 children. Jackie and Bob appear to love each other and all they want is to be together but Jan is manipulating Bob and making all decisions for him. Jackie will be devastate once she realizes what is going on.

Is there any way to stop Jan from essentially kidnapping her father Bob from his wife and step family?

Thank you so much.

Fred
This is important: are we talking about profound dementia, or beginning stages, or what? I'm going somewhere specific with this because there's really only one way you could change things.

FreddyH

This is important: are we talking about profound dementia, or beginning stages, or what? I'm going somewhere specific with this because there's really only one way you could change things.
I would consider this beginning stages of dementia. They repeat things all of the time and cannot drive as of around 6 months ago.

Proserpina

I would consider this beginning stages of dementia. They repeat things all of the time and cannot drive as of around 6 months ago.

Then you're stuck. Unless it can be proven that he is incapable of making decisions, he's free to do whatever he wants - including going to live with Jan.

Even if the state will eventually make that decision (and it's not easy by any means), Jan would be an appropriate candidate for guardianship.

Just Blue

First thing: Your stepfather can not be stolen by his child.

Second thing; Your mother is, per your posting, not able to really care for her husband. That being said his daughter likely has the legal right to care for her father.

But as you, as a non-party to this family situation, have no legal right to do a thing except, perhaps, tell your wife to hire an attorney to assist your MIL.

FreddyH

First thing: Your stepfather can not be stolen by his child.

Second thing; Your mother is, per your posting, not able to really care for her husband. That being said his daughter likely has the legal right to care for her father.

But as you, as a non-party to this family situation, have no legal right to do a thing except, perhaps, tell your wife to hire an attorney to assist your MIL.
I found her last medical report for early this year, it read as follow:

"Dementia, must have assistance to protect herself from hazards of her daily environment."

Just Blue

I found her last medical report for early this year, it read as follow:

"Dementia, must have assistance to protect herself from hazards of her daily environment."
So...Why are you starting a invasive thread regarding something that has NOTHING LEGALLY to do with YOU and LEGALLY will not help your MIL?????????

FreddyH

So...Why are you starting a invasive thread regarding something that has NOTHING LEGALLY to do with YOU and LEGALLY will not help your MIL?????????
I'm confused, is this not a legal forum for people seeking assistance with difficult situations? Just trying to assist my wife's family to determine what LEGALLY they can do to ASSIST their mother!

FreddyH

Then you're stuck. Unless it can be proven that he is incapable of making decisions, he's free to do whatever he wants - including going to live with Jan.

Even if the state will eventually make that decision (and it's not easy by any means), Jan would be an appropriate candidate for guardianship.
Thank you, this is very good feedback.

Just Blue

I'm confused, is this not a legal forum for people seeking assistance with difficult situations? Just trying to assist my wife's family to determine what LEGALLY they can do to ASSIST their mother!
Even your wife really doesn't have a LEGAL RIGHT in this situation. Only her mother does. And as she, MIL, is not able to care for herself...How is she, MIL, able to care for her husband? IMO, the Stepfather child saw what was going on and took steps to assist her Dad. Good for her.

You have no moral right to post your MIL issues on the internet. Why don't you talk to your wife about having MIL live with you? :confused:

Last edited:

FreddyH

Even your wife really doesn't have a LEGAL RIGHT in this situation. Only her mother does. And as she, MIL, is not able to care for herself...How is she, MIL, able to care for her husband? IMO, the Stepfather child saw what was going on and took steps to assist her Dad. Good for her.

You have no moral right to post your MIL issues on the internet. Why don't you talk to your wife about having MIL live with you? :confused:
I you really preaching morality on this forum!!! My wife is devastated over this whole thing so I'm looking for sensible advise.

LdiJ

That is maybe a little harsh...mom is obviously unable to look out for her own best interests therefore even the elder agencies would expect her children to do it for her.

latigo

Florida

Thank you so much.

Fred
There is one and only one legal recourse. Which is to consult with a Florida lawyer acquainted with Florida guardianship laws. (Chapter 744 Florida Statutes) There you will learn who in sympathy might be qualified to file the necessary petition to determine incapacity and for their appointment as guardian.

This is a very complex procedure, so don't be thinking that it can be done without employing a competent professional.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">