• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

stepparent rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MediatorBob

What is the name of your state? AR

What is the best (more reliable, trustworthy) way for a biological parent to give their spouse, the stepparent, rights to care for the bio-parent's children in their absence - for example, rights to get medical care, to pick up and drop off the child at school (etc) and to get their grades form the school?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state? AR

What is the best (more reliable, trustworthy) way for a biological parent to give their spouse, the stepparent, rights to care for the bio-parent's children in their absence - for example, rights to get medical care, to pick up and drop off the child at school (etc) and to get their grades form the school?
Where's the other PARENT?
In my case, I have used a POA...YMMV

MediatorBob

Where's the other PARENT?
In my case, I have used a POA...YMMV
Other parent's location is generally irrelevant. Not trying to usurp their authority, just to garner rights and, really, permissions for the stepparent to help their spouse with the children. This is a question for a national stepparenting group, so we have all sorts of combinations of parent situations. But in all the cases we have stepparents who need to be able to - at the very least - get medical care for their stepkids in an emergency where Mom or Dad may not be available. In my own case, my wife simply wrote out a statement that gave me the right to do these things for her daughter if needed (at the suggestion of her school principal). Is this enough, or is a POA necessary - or is that:confused overkill?

thanks!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">