• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

stepparent rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

dking36

georgia - what rights do stepparents have regarding the children (ex. dealing with school, doctor, etc.) including having access via telephone and in person? Does marriage to father give stepmom same rights?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

dking36 said:
georgia - what rights do stepparents have regarding the children (ex. dealing with school, doctor, etc.) including having access via telephone and in person? Does marriage to father give stepmom same rights?
My response:

With the exception of "direction" of the children WITHIN the confines of the house itself, stepparents have no other rights concerning the upbringing of their mate's children.

That's why they're called stepparents . . . they need to "step" back and stop interfering with other people's children. Not even with the biological parent's permission.

A lot of stepparents "think", by virtue of their marriage, they have some "right" to rear stepchildren outside of the family home; i.e., go to the school, the doctor, etc. Once that child crosses the threshold to the outside, or once that child receives or makes a call "to the outside", the stepparent has no right to do anything, and to do anything is called "interference" with custody or visitation. And that's actionable by the other parent.

Don't do it.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">