• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Subpoena

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

LeighAnn

I have a question regarding a subpoena for a child custody case in Kansas. My former room mate and her ex husband are fighting for custody of their two children and I have been subpoenaed three times already and I went and answered the questions plus gave a deposition another time. I just received a subpoena stuck in the front door of my apartment last night on the 22and and it states it is to be served on me no later than the 20th for a court date of the 29th of this month which is next week. I cannot get off work to make the two hour trip each way and I do not want to be arrested for not showing up. All the previous court dates gave me atleast a three week notice instead of a one week notice. Is there any way I can get out of this since the subpoena was left for me two days after the date it stated it was to be served by? I have no new information for this case and I cannot afford to be off work and to get a written counseling in my record for taking off work at such a late date. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Sorry this is so long.

Thank you very much

Lawrence, Kansas 66046

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

Call the attorney who issued the Subpoena (the name and number are on the Subpoena) and explain what has happened, and why you can no longer comply, just like you said here. If he refuses to withdraw the Subpoena, then inform him that you will file a "objection" to the Subpeona.

I hope that in all the instances of your appearances, you demanded and received your Statutory Witness and Mileage fees. Read the Subpeona carefully, and it should mention this subject - just in case the court compels you to appear.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">