• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

sue Department of Social Services in SC?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

ang0ie

I live in SC.

My grandaughter has been removed from her home with me. We (the grandparents) have raised the child since she was 3 years old. She is now 16. Her parents are divorced. Her father had sole custody during this time and he also lived at my home. Dss removed the child from my home and gave custody to her mother. She was removed because my son was accused of commiting a leud act on a minor (her). He is no longer living with me.

It was been 4 months since we have seen her and the judge being advised by DSS, said we were to have no contact with her. In short, can one sue the Department of Social Services for all the pain and suffering we have been though this whole ordeal and force them to grant us visitation. Not seeing her is worse than a death in the family. DSS has said that if we come in for a "Clarification" interview,we MIGHT be able to see her. In other words, if we say that we believe our son did something wrong, they will then maybe let us see her. That I will not do. I will not take sides. My counselor has recommended that I take a neutral position, until the trial is over and then try to rebuild my family.

kat1963

Yes, they can be sued. They like to think that they have immunity, but they do not. The girl is 16 now? In 2 years she can sue them too.
Good Luck!
KAT

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">