• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

sueing mistress for money spent on her

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

buddottie

What is the name of your state? Alabama

My spouse was having or is still having (not sure) an affait with someone in Las Vegas. Should we divorce can I sue her for the money she received from him and the money he spent on her getting her to sleep with him and the money he spent flying her to places and buying her clothes and jewelry? I have some of the receipts and the records for the purchases.

Silverplum

What is the name of your state? Alabama

My spouse was having or is still having (not sure) an affait with someone in Las Vegas. Should we divorce can I sue her for the money she received from him and the money he spent on her getting her to sleep with him and the money he spent flying her to places and buying her clothes and jewelry? I have some of the receipts and the records for the purchases.
Google "Alienation of Affection" for your state. Most states have abolished such lawsuits.

You might, as in it is maybe possible, be able to account for marital funds he squandered, and that would come out of any property split of your divorce.

No one here can or will tell you if you should divorce. That's up to you.

happybug

Silverplum, I am really curious if it would actually be POSSIBLE in any situation or state to sue the mistress for money spent on her? The legal system does boggle my mind at times but I am having a hard time understanding this one. It's not like the mistress robbed them. The husband chose to spend his money. I can see where the husband could be responsible for spending marital assets, but the woman he spent them on?

majomom1

Silverplum, I am really curious if it would actually be POSSIBLE in any situation or state to sue the mistress for money spent on her? The legal system does boggle my mind at times but I am having a hard time understanding this one. It's not like the mistress robbed them. The husband chose to spend his money. I can see where the husband could be responsible for spending marital assets, but the woman he spent them on?
As Silver said, you would have to google "Alienation of Affection" for the state. Now you can always sue - whether or not you 'win' the case or get anything is another story.

fairisfair

Silver did NOT say that a lawsuit against the mistress for the monies spent would be viable.

What she SAID was that the wife might be able to get an adjustment of the property split during the divorce.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">