• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

suvivors rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mommamoon

Mississippi<>I need to know how to go about getting suvivors rights for my son. His father was creamated and he is not on the birthcertificate. I have applied for it through social security and it was a no go.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Mississippi<>I need to know how to go about getting suvivors rights for my son. His father was creamated and he is not on the birthcertificate. I have applied for it through social security and it was a no go.
Was paternity ever established? If not, so sad, too bad too late. You should have established paternity for your son when his "father" was alive because unless it was established, your child did not have a father.

nextwife

IF you've maintained a good relationship with his family, and provided them access to their grandchild, they may be willing to voluntarily submit to DNA testing. Paternity CAN be established via tests of a close biological relative of the father.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Nextwife you are correct. I just find it interesting that this man was not worthwhile to be daddy while he is alive but now that he is dead and a possible source of funds with no possibility of getting custody/visitation that he now should be considered daddy.

nextwife

Nextwife you are correct. I just find it interesting that this man was not worthwhile to be daddy while he is alive but now that he is dead and a possible source of funds with no possibility of getting custody/visitation that he now should be considered daddy.
Agreed.

But, my hubby's dad died while hubby was in-utero. His parents were married (and for several years) before his dad died, some months BEFORE his birth, so paternity establishment was unnecessary. However, if a dad dies before birth in a out of wedlock pregnancy, establishing paternity would be problematic.

Let's just think kind thoughts and presume this OP is in such a scenario. ;)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">