• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Takeing Spouse Off Joint Account

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Angela.C

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas
Me and my husband are sperated and he took me off our joint account so now i dont have any access to that account, But the money that is in there is both of ours. My question is in the the state of Texas is it legal for him to take my off with out me singing anything nowing that i was being taken off??? very :confused:What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas
Me and my husband are sperated and he took me off our joint account so now i dont have any access to that account, But the money that is in there is both of ours. My question is in the the state of Texas is it legal for him to take my off with out me singing anything nowing that i was being taken off??? very :confused:What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Have you filed for divorce yet, or filed for legal separation?

The bank will allow him to close a joint account since he is an owner. It is very rare that an owner is removed. In fact, at my FI we don't remove owners. The account could be closed though and a new account would have to be opened.

Angela.C

Okay so buy law cause he is the main account holder he dont need my signature to take me off. Thats just not right that he could be so cold and just cut me off our money and not even care.:( So i cant do anything about it right?

Antigone*

Okay so buy law cause he is the main account holder he dont need my signature to take me off. Thats just not right that he could be so cold and just cut me off our money and not even care.:( So i cant do anything about it right?
That is not what I said. I said any account holder can close an account. You could have gone into the bank and done the same thing.

You didn't answer my question about having filed for divorce or separation. The answer to that question may influence what recourse you have. I will, however, leave that answer to the divorce experts.

Angela.C

Ya i do understand that but the account is still open. I do know that some banks do require that both people go in and have to sign the other person off the account just like how you have to do it when you put someone on the account. I was just confused cause this bank didnt require that... I just didnt know if that was the law for all banks or only some states. No i haven't filed for divorce yet.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">