• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Taking in 20 year old awol girlfriend. Is it legal?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

killaki39

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maryland

My girlfriend is currently 20. She is from maryland where she was in foster care. Due to anger issues and diabetes she was sent to a group home in pennsylvania. She is tired of the place and wants to live with me. If she leaves there it will be seen as awol. Since she is a legal adult can she just leave? would she be breaking the law? would i be breaking the law taking her in?

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maryland

My girlfriend is currently 20. She is from maryland where she was in foster care. Due to anger issues and diabetes she was sent to a group home in pennsylvania. She is tired of the place and wants to live with me. If she leaves there it will be seen as awol. Since she is a legal adult can she just leave? would she be breaking the law? would i be breaking the law taking her in?
http://www.dhr.state.md.us/blog/?page_id=4531

http://www.dhr.state.md.us/blog/?page_id=4557

killaki39

what does that all mean?

I'm sorry but what does all that mean? she's not disabled. Would she or i be breaking the law? Maryland only covers her until age 21. But she doesn't want to wait that long

LdiJ

I'm sorry but what does all that mean? she's not disabled. Would she or i be breaking the law? Maryland only covers her until age 21. But she doesn't want to wait that long
You haven't given enough information (and probably don't know enough information) to be able to say if it would be legal or not. On the surface, your girlfriend is a legal adult and should be able to do as she pleases. However, legal adults do not get placed into group homes without there being some sort of legal proceedings, therefore its possible she may be legally required to remain in the group home.

If she was placed in the group home as a minor, and has only remained there because they allowed her the choice to remain there, then she might be free to leave. However, she is the only one that would have the necessary information to determine that.

CSO286

You haven't given enough information (and probably don't know enough information) to be able to say if it would be legal or not. On the surface, your girlfriend is a legal adult and should be able to do as she pleases. However, legal adults do not get placed into group homes without there being some sort of legal proceedings, therefore its possible she may be legally required to remain in the group home.

If she was placed in the group home as a minor, and has only remained there because they allowed her the choice to remain there, then she might be free to leave. However, she is the only one that would have the necessary information to determine that.
Exactly. And if she was placed there as a ward of the state, then she doesn't get to choose where she'll live.

And you could be find your self in trouble. Google "vulnerable adult".

killaki39

Background

I'm 24. I met my girlfriend close to two years ago at well the mental ward. (No judgements please). We both were in a bad place. She suffers from bipolar as well as diabetes. She has been in foster care since she was 10 years old. Really she had no other place to go. No other placement would take her so the state of maryland sent her to PA. The state of maryland is her legal guardian. She turns 21 in march. The head of the group home as well as her case worker have been in constant talks with me about getting ready to take the reigns and take care of her when at 21 under the state of maryland's eyes she is an adult. I guess in retrospect the smarter thing is to tell her to wait until march. But giving the background i just gave you would i be committing an illegal act by letting her into my home today?

LdiJ

I'm 24. I met my girlfriend close to two years ago at well the mental ward. (No judgements please). We both were in a bad place. She suffers from bipolar as well as diabetes. She has been in foster care since she was 10 years old. Really she had no other place to go. No other placement would take her so the state of maryland sent her to PA. The state of maryland is her legal guardian. She turns 21 in march. The head of the group home as well as her case worker have been in constant talks with me about getting ready to take the reigns and take care of her when at 21 under the state of maryland's eyes she is an adult. I guess in retrospect the smarter thing is to tell her to wait until march. But giving the background i just gave you would i be committing an illegal act by letting her into my home today?
Yes, it does sound like it could be a problem for you...possibly a very serious one.

FarmerJ

I work for a group home firm and I can tell you as long as she does not have her own guardianship if she elopes what will happen is that the home she was placed in will start out with a call to local police/ sheriff dept ( this is XYZ I am a employee of _________ and im calling to report that we have a client who has broken supervision ( they will provide a description inc what she was wearing) then when she is found she will be forcibly returned to the home she had been living in , If she has enough incidence of poor choices while she does not have self guardianship they can do alot of things like install locks on her closet door and move ALL clothing into it so say at night if she chose to elope she would have nothing to wear. ( the home she lives in might already have door and window alarms, Depending on the laws in the state she resides she could be physically restrained during a elopement attempt if the elopement could lead to self injury. AND on your end of things if she were found with you there is a possibility that you could be charged with a crime related to abuse or neglect laws for vulnerable adults in the state you are found in with her being with you. If your going to continue having a relationship with her then just wait until she turns 21 and has her discharge papers, they really will be getting them ready for her unless she makes so many bad choices that the courts are used to extend the current guardianship. she has a log book that will have things in it possibly like a way to record non compliance , verbal aggression, physical ag, social innapropriate behavior so keep reminding her to just hang tight , make good choices and stay compliant with the rules in the home she lives in.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">