• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tax Exemption Buy Out

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

johnson4162005

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? UTah

I have a court order that states: "Petitioner and Responden shall each be awarded the federal and state income tax exemptions in alternating years, with Petitioner being awarded the exemption in odd-numbered years and Respondent being awarded the exemption in even number years, so long as Respondent is current on his child support and other support obligations on Dec. 31 of the applicable tax year. That either party may have the option of purchasing the exemption from the other party if the exemption is more valuable to one party than the other; that the parties shall cooperate in exchanging income tax information upon the request of the other party to determine to whom the exemption is more valuable."
It also states that any "back arrears" will be researved.
Can you tell me how the "buy out" works on taxes; its my year to finally claim my daughter for the first time after 6 years. Also can she take control of my return and say she is going to use it for "back arrears" though nothing has even been figured or settled with that matter?
Any help would be appreciated!

LdiJ

I have a court order that states: "Petitioner and Responden shall each be awarded the federal and state income tax exemptions in alternating years, with Petitioner being awarded the exemption in odd-numbered years and Respondent being awarded the exemption in even number years, so long as Respondent is current on his child support and other support obligations on Dec. 31 of the applicable tax year. That either party may have the option of purchasing the exemption from the other party if the exemption is more valuable to one party than the other; that the parties shall cooperate in exchanging income tax information upon the request of the other party to determine to whom the exemption is more valuable."
Can you tell me how the "buy out" works on taxes; its my year to finally claim my daughter for the first time after 6 years. Also can she take control of my return and say she is going to use it for "back arrears" though nothing has even been figured or settled with that matter?
I sure hope that the IRS does not ever see your agreement, since its a gross violation of the federal tax code....sigh. In fact, selling a child's tax exemption is a criminal violation of the tax code. I cannot believe that wording was used at all.

If you have child support arrearages and you have been going through the CSE, then yes, its quite possible/probable that your refund will be seized for the arrearages.

johnson4162005

Could you tell me a website as to where I could find this information so I can provide my ex with it?

Thanks!

Senior Member Join Date: May 2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnson4162005

I sure hope that the IRS does not ever see your agreement, since its a gross violation of the federal tax code....sigh. In fact, selling a child's tax exemption is a criminal violation of the tax code. I cannot believe that wording was used at all.

If you have child support arrearages and you have been going through the CSE, then yes, its quite possible/probable that your refund will be seized for the arrearages.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">