• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tax exemption of child age 18

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Cheryl3700

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NH

No one has responded to this..... :-( sniff sniff.... no advice for me. . . . . . . .

I am a non custodial Mom, sharing the children 60/40. We share exemptions alternating yearly.

My decree says this: "“The tax exemptions for the children shall be alternated yearly with Respondent having the exemptions for two older children in 2000 and petitioner shall have the exemption for the youngest child. This pattern shall be continued until the oldest child reaches the age of 18 years, when the exemptions for the other two children shall be shared and alternated as above. The exemption for the minor child, shall be alternated yearly until she reaches the age of 18 years."

My question is, my middle child turned 18 in FEB this year. It’s my turn to deduct him as I deducted the youngest last year. My X gets the youngest this year and I should get the 18 yo, however, I’m not clear on the wording in my decree. What does until 18 mean? Stops at 18 or includes 18?

What is your opinion? We did not have this issue with the oldest as he turned 18 when it was my X's year to take him anyways.

Thanks, Cheryl

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">