• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tax Question/Really Confused

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

leftalone

I am from New Jersey.

My husband left over 1 year ago and now it's tax time.

We are not legally separated.

I am allowed to claim Head of Household? I pay all the house bills and have 2 children.

He says I am, but i read on sites that as long as we are married neither of us are allowed to claim Head of Household. I also spoke to a lawyer on line, but they weren't familiar with the tax laws.

G

Grandma B

You've got it!!

IRS tax topic 353:

Generally, to qualify for head of household status, you must be unmarried and have provided more than half the cost of keeping up a home that was the main home for yourself and a qualifying relative for more than one half of the year. You may also qualify if you are married, but have not lived with your spouse at any time during the last six months of the tax year and provided more than half the cost of keeping up a home for you and your dependent child for more than one half of the year

L

leftalone

Thank you very much for answering me.

I wrote on so many sites and no-one seems to want to take the time to help.

It appreciate your help.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">